MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Looking for 7 seater smaller than MPV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Minivan Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral Beez
Admiral Beez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Looking for 7 seater smaller than MPV Reply with quote

I'm looking to replace my 2003 MPV with another vehicle with three rows of seats. As I live downtown Toronto, Canada I've always liked the compact dimensions of our MPV vs. other mini vans from Honda, Dodge, Toyota, etc.

So, now that we're in the market for another 7 seater, I'm having trouble finding anything close to the MPV's dimensions of Length, Overall (in)189.5 and Width, Max w/o mirrors (in)72”.

Let me start by saying the Mazda 5 is not in consideration. After repeated ignition coil failures, PCV hose failure, gas tank corrosion and failure (over $1,000 fix), five trips to body shop for significant rust removal, and multiple sensor failures, my wife will not accept another Mazda vehicle. Many here will think this is an unfair and unreasonable assessment and viewpoint, but my married comrades here will agree with me that once the wife's mind is set, it's best to make nice and agree. Plus, it's her van, not mine (my 2000 Saturn SL2 is still going great at 340,000 kms).

So, can anyone recommend a seven seater than has the MPV's compact dims? The third row is just for small kids and the dog, so it a tight fit is acceptable.

I've looked at the Hyundai Santa Fe XL, http://www.hyundaicanada.com/Pages/showroom/showroom.aspx?model=Santa%20Fe%20XL but it's 3.5” longer and 2” wider than the MPV.

I'm considering the Chevy Orlando http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles/chevrolet/orlando/overview It’s length is 183.7 and width 72.2. It’s almost 2” narrower than the MPV and almost 10” shorter. However, it's brand new on the market, a bit chintzy in the interior quality and rather ugly.

2003 MPV
Admiral Beez
Admiral Beez

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for 7 seater smaller than MPV Reply with quote

The 2014 Kia Rondo is nice looking and Hyundai/Kia are scoring very high on reliability.

[/img]

2003 MPV
aha
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for 7 seater smaller than MPV Reply with quote

Whoa, the new Rondo sure looks nice - I hope it will make it to US if not, how do I bring one from Canada? Laughing
* 2016 Kia Soul EV
* 2012 Toyota Sienna LE
* 2012 Mazda 5 Touring with S&S - clear water blue mica
Skoorbmax

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for 7 seater smaller than MPV Reply with quote

Very few options, really. The Orlando doesn't even exist in the US (I see you are in Canada, though). The Rav4 until this year had 3rd row as an option, but you would have to buy used.
Quote:
my wife will not accept another Mazda vehicle
My wife has said the exact same thing, never another Mazda. I got rid of ours at 99k. Already I had replaced ignition coils, some front suspension stuff, an engine oil leak--not a great deal of stuff, but at trade-in time the A/C was leaking and needed repair (not a recharge), the ABS module needed replacement (replacing the sensor didn't fix the problem), the transmission had always clunked and I presumed would die at some point, and on a personal level the rust was driving me nuts and affecting most body panels. Mazdas are incredibly rust prone IMO, the MPV in particular, there is not a single one on the road in the north that doesn't have rust as far as I've ever seen.
2004 MPV LX , sold May, 2011
aha
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for 7 seater smaller than MPV Reply with quote

What about this one? (not sure if smaller than MPV) http://www.ford.com/crossovers/transitconnect-wagon/
* 2016 Kia Soul EV
* 2012 Toyota Sienna LE
aha
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for 7 seater smaller than MPV Reply with quote

There's also dodge journey but...reclining or moving forward 2nd row (to access 3rd row) was impossible for wifey. Even the sales person was not having an easy moment. I have been thinking or replacing my MPV but I'm facing the same dillemma on the replacement. Rolling Eyes

I'm very happy with Mazda 5 though, but it's very small.

* 2016 Kia Soul EV
* 2012 Toyota Sienna LE
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for 7 seater smaller than MPV Reply with quote

aha wrote:
What about this one? (not sure if smaller than MPV) http://www.ford.com/crossovers/transitconnect-wagon/

they had one at this year's NY auto show. definately a player in the minivan game ... sliding door, 3 rows, and all (though the van was locked so couldn't really get inside. the difference with this vs regular minivans is that its positioned low.

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
aha
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for 7 seater smaller than MPV Reply with quote

yeah, i can't wait to see/test drive in person. it doesn't look as comfy/plush but that's what i thought about Mazda 5 (seating low) and was happily surprised with its driving dynamic i ended up buying one.

vkc wrote:
aha wrote:

they had one at this year's NY auto show. definately a player in the minivan game ... sliding door, 3 rows, and all (though the van was locked so couldn't really get inside. the difference with this vs regular minivans is that its positioned low.

* 2016 Kia Soul EV
* 2012 Toyota Sienna LE
Manitoba MPV
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for 7 seater smaller than MPV Reply with quote

Admiral -

I was told (by a Mazda sales rep though) that Mazda had addressed the rear wheel well rust issue successfully for the '05 model year. (Although Winnipeg is not considered to be in the rust belt, the number of Proteges, early 3s, and early 2nd-gen MPVs with rust in that area is staggering. It does appear to be worse than on other comparable Japanese or Korean cars. TO must be crazy.)

Anyway, it appears he was correct - I haven't seen premature rust on any of the newer Mazdas. (Our '97 MPV has done very well, with only minor surface rust after 16 years.)

Sounds like the 2nd MPV had a lot of Ford in it.

As far as suggestions, yes, as you mentioned, check out the Chevy Orlando. The leftover '12s were selling here for crazy cheap a few months ago, listed as low as in the high $13K range. (Those would be with a manual transmission, and possibly no AC. I'd want the AC, but would prefer the MT.) The dealer may have tacked on prep and admin fees as well, but I still found the price impressive.

Because you're in Canada, pick up a copy of Phil Edmonston's Lemon-Aid New Car Guide. Hopefully all of the small vans will be reviewed and rated. (For used vans, only the Sienna and Mazda5 are recommended. Maybe some years of the Odyssey - can't remember for sure.)

Good luck in your search!

Manitoba MPV

'82 GLC 1.5 5-speed ('82 - '95); '79 GLC Sport 1.4 5-speed ('87 - '89); '85 626 2.0 5-speed ('97 - '05); '90 MPV 2WD 2.6 5-speed ('96 - '01); '95 Bawngo GL Super 9 pass 2.0 5-speed ('03 - '04); '97 AllSport 2WD 3.0 auto ('01 - ?); '01 Protege 1.6 5-speed ('05 - '13); '09 Mazda 5 GT 5-speed ('13 - ?)
ctom3
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for 7 seater smaller than MPV Reply with quote

Really? You resurrected a thread that hasn't been active for 3-1/2 years to get free advertising? You are not welcome here!
novalight
Administrator
A-spec Touring Edition
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for 7 seater smaller than MPV Reply with quote

he has gone bye bye
2004 A-spec Touring Edition (look it up)
instagram: Tangofury
Added Suspension: Carbing Tower Bar, TEIN Stechs, Airlift Airbags, Energy Suspension Bushings
Added Exhaust: Cherry BOMB Glasspack, 22" X 3" TIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Minivan Comparisons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: