MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

If you had to replace the MPV today, what would you buy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  
View previous topic :: View next topic  

If you had to replace the MPV today, what would you buy?
MX-CrossSport a.k.a CX-7 (if available today)
7%
 7%  [ 7 ]
Other Mazdas - SUV/truck or wagon group
10%
 10%  [ 10 ]
Other Mazdas - sedans, compacts or sports
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Import minivan - e.g. Sienna, Oddysey, Quest
47%
 47%  [ 44 ]
Domestic minivan - e.g. Freestar, Caravan, etc.
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
SUVs or trucks
9%
 9%  [ 9 ]
Other vehicles
17%
 17%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 93

Dave
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: If you had to replace the MPV today, what would you buy? Reply with quote

Tacoland wrote:
Also, Mazda got rid of the Tribute. No surprize. It was sort of redundant with the CX-7. By the way, Mazda. I can't really tell the difference between the 7 and the 9. Except the 10k price difference. Why are they almost identical? We will probably never own another Mazda unless it is a used, pre 2012 Mazda 5.

I see the CX-5 as the Tribute replacement. What puzzles me is why have it and the CX-7. Both are 2-row CUVs. The CX-7 and CX-9 look a lot less similar side by side, and the 9 has a third row.

THe '12 Mazda 5 is virtually identical to the previous years - nearly all changes are cosmetic. I've recently test-driven both. And when the 5 refreshes in a couple years is will lose the "flow" bodywork on the sides, as Mazda has abandoned that design theme.

I do wish they'd bring the current MPV/Mazda 8 to NA - but for now it's JDM/Asia only. Really too bad because it was an upgrade to the last MPVs sold here in many ways.

Still don't know what we'd replace with tomorrow. Our '01 just hit the 10 year mark of ownership and it's still running strong. We'd likely consider a 5, though the wife is showing interest in the Ford Flex, Subaru Tribeca, and some other CUVs. Hopefully we won't have to deal with buying a new car for a few more years. (I used to have a goal of getting 10 years out of the MPV, but now the goal is 15 years!)

Rich. Dark. Deeply satisfying.

My rides:
'01 MPV LX
'97 Mercury Grand Marquis SOLD
'08 Mazda CX-7 Touring - my first turbo!
Pantharen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: If you had to replace the MPV today, what would you buy? Reply with quote

I would look for another "used" MPV or a tin top 4dr Tracker / Sidekick.
GUNS.. LOTS OF GUNS
Dave
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: If you had to replace the MPV today, what would you buy? Reply with quote

May have to do this faster than I had hoped - the radiator failed on the highway the other day - it's in getting replaced (I don't have the time - radiator change on the MPV is an MV-PITA as you have to take the whole nose apart!).

I am hoping that nothing else was damaged. Should find out today. I'd still like to get a few more years out of it - for an '01 it has reasonable miles (119k) and being a southern car the body is in great shape - no rust!

My rides:
'01 MPV LX
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: If you had to replace the MPV today, what would you buy? Reply with quote

Dave--I hope you get good news regarding your MPV. Our MPV is also an '01 with little rust and 140+K. We bought it just a week or so after DS started kindergarten, and if we can hang on to it until high school graduation--or longer--I will be pleased.
Dan
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
Sold (scrapped) on 10/30/04 at 165,599.4 miles....1987 Honda Accord DX (165K miles)--Tan Car
Sold (scrapped) on 9/26/09 at 148406.4 miles and 24 years old....1985 Toyota Camry LE --Brown Car (Dan's former daily driver)
And more human powered bikes than I can count.....
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: If you had to replace the MPV today, what would you buy? Reply with quote

Oh--I forgot to address the topic in the thread.

Without having done any research, I'm not sure exactly what we would get but my guess is that it would be a Japanese branded minivan. The practicality of a mini-van for vacations works well for us. Especially for the three of us. If it were just DW and me, with DS on his own, then something smaller and more economical might be considered.

Dan
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
Sold (scrapped) on 10/30/04 at 165,599.4 miles....1987 Honda Accord DX (165K miles)--Tan Car
Sold (scrapped) on 9/26/09 at 148406.4 miles and 24 years old....1985 Toyota Camry LE --Brown Car (Dan's former daily driver)
And more human powered bikes than I can count.....
Dave
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: If you had to replace the MPV today, what would you buy? Reply with quote

Well..... new radiator is installed and the van seems fine (knock on wood).

Would like to get a few more years out of it - my mechanic thought everything else looked solid. Fortunately, I was able to shut it down pretty fast when it stated to overheat.

My rides:
'01 MPV LX
Monsterbishi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: If you had to replace the MPV today, what would you buy? Reply with quote

I'm loving the MPV, given the opportunity I'd buy another to 'tinker' with in a more appropriate fashion.

oh well, installed a heavy duty towbar on the wifes MPV last weekend, I guess that will have to be my tinkering fix until wednesday when I replace the exhaust manifold and RF CV boots Wink

-✂- Cut Here -✂-
ǝɯǝpɐɹʇ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ɐɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
dannimal29

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: If you had to replace the MPV today, what would you buy? Reply with quote

I like the oddesey touring version it's got good style and it must have all the options that would make for comfort on longer rides. Cool
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: If you had to replace the MPV today, what would you buy? Reply with quote

Looking at my previous posts in this thread, I laugh. I guess I have to change my story on the giant vans.
I accepted a free 98 Grand Voyager and sold the MPV in the fall of 2009 while it was still nice enough for people to want it. I actually took possession of the Plymouth in the fall of 08 but it had body damage from a collision and I took my time rebuilding it. I managed to eventually get all the right colour body panels(fender, hood, bumpercover) from the boneyards.
It's still going great. It only had about 156000 km when I got it. It has no rust and It rides nicely. I do miss handling though. But I have been known to make good use of all that cargo volume in there!

MPV gone Sad
current: 07 Impala SS, 08 Grand Caravan SXT
MotoRoto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: If you had to replace the MPV today, what would you buy? Reply with quote

Sad to say it but our MPV bit the dust. A guy ran the red, my wife braked so he just glanced the front end but then the person behind pushed in the rear. Everyone is more or less ok, minor issues so that's the most important thing. That said though I'm still bummed because we had the van from new, it's the perfect size and has been rock solid reliable... plus it was paid off! I'm in a bit of shock, the van was worth far more than the money we'll get for it and as much as I'd like to buy another MPV there really are none in our area that are close to the condition, mileage, with the options we had and I will never be able to own one from new again.

We've have a rental 2012 Grand Caravan and there are some things I really like about it and then there are some I hate, build quality is just not there but it has a strong engine and actually handles pretty good but it's big. One thing we really like about the MPV was it's size... a bit tight for a long trips and three kids (a roof rack solves that) but perfect for around town and much more garage friendly.

The MPV was my fourth Mazda but now with no real minivan option it doesn't look like I'll be buying my fifth anytime soon.

All the current offerings are more or less the same size so it came down to preference. The Nissan Quest didn't have much more cargo space behind the 3rd row seats than the MPV and the seats folded flat to the floor vs the rear rolling into a well so folded floor to ceiling was more SUV style. We decided on the Honda Odyssey; price wise I can't get back into leather and a sunroof but it's still a decent ride.

Now:
12 Odyssey
99 Protege (Original Owner)

Then:
68 VW Type III Fastback
85 RX7 GS
87 RX7 TII
06 MPV (Original Owner, written off 08/13/2012 w/ 81k Kms).
Pantharen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: If you had to replace the MPV today, what would you buy? Reply with quote

My 1998 MPV is being replaced with a Suburu Justy. 1.2L 3cyl, shift on the fly 4wd, and it'll sip the gas, instead of chug it like the MPV..

My commute is over 200km, one way. And with the prediction of fuel being $2/liter this summer.. I want something that is as light on fuel as possible.

GUNS.. LOTS OF GUNS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: