MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Popping sound from Air filter box
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rangerjh90

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Popping sound from Air filter box Reply with quote

keep hearing a popping sound from the air filter box area. I engage the throttle and release it sounds like the last few kernels of microwave popcorn popping. I have been trying to nail down the cause of a random misfire, could this be a clue?
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Popping sound from Air filter box Reply with quote

What year is your vehicle? On 2000-2001 models (at least), the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve is known to be noisy and problematic; replacement is recommended.. The IAC is one of the main determiners of how well your engine runs whenever the throttle is closed.
rangerjh90

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Popping sound from Air filter box Reply with quote

Sorry, it's a 2003 with 117,000 miles and I got a P0300 code. The misfire mainly occurs while driving or when in gear stopped. Not so much at idle in park, at least I've not noticed it as much.
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Popping sound from Air filter box Reply with quote

Do you have any other codes, like maybe a P0171 or P0174 ? A P0300 means that the misfire is moving around (not isolated to one cylinder), which implies an engine-wide issue, like maybe a vacuum leak or a fuel delivery problem. Given that you are hearing noises from the air box, I would suspect a vacuum leak of some type in that area. The air (accordion) hose is prone to cracking over time, so take a look down in the folds of that to see if you have any cracks there. Also make sure that the air box itself is closed properly.

There are also a couple of air-related solenoids which are mounted at or near the air box (see items #2 and #11 in the attached diagram); if one of these is malfunctioning then that might explain your issues. If you can, I would suggest that you open the hood and listen closely to see if you can isolate the noise.

1 EGR valve
2 Purge solenoid valve
3 PCV valve
4 Oil separator
5 Ventilation hose
6 WU-TWC (Except Genaral (L.H.D.) specs)
7 TWC
8 Catch tank
9 Evaporative gas check valve (one-way)
10 EGR boost sensor
11 EGR boost sensor solenoid valve

BME116ZTC301.png

BME116ZTC301.png - File downloaded or viewed 1601 time(s)

rangerjh90

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Popping sound from Air filter box Reply with quote

I have had a P0037 (lower bank O2 sensor) code. None other than those. I picked up a new IAC valve and will change that tomorrow. $35 and it can't hurt. I will check what you suggested thanks.
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Popping sound from Air filter box Reply with quote

If the P0037 code is still unresolved, then it's possible that you have a wiring problem (a short, maybe) for sensor 2 which is also slightly affecting sensor 1, which could definitely affect how the engine runs. Such multi-sensor wiring issues are not uncommon around here.
rangerjh90

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Popping sound from Air filter box Reply with quote

Okay I swapped out the IAC and the popping noise went away. This had no effect on the misfire. I removed and cleaned the MAC and inspected the air intake hose in which I found a crack. It was not a full blown hole but I replaced the hose anyway. I also swapped out the Camshaft Position sensor, I cleared the codes and drove it. The misfire was still there but I got a P0302 cylinder #2 misfire instead of the P0300. I am going to replace all plugs and coils on the back 3 cylinders (having already done the front three) any suggestions on things I should closely inspect/clean/replace while I have the intake manifold off?
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Popping sound from Air filter box Reply with quote

Check the bolts holding on the rear valve cover to make sure they are still properly tightened; specs can be found here: http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=27012 . On mine I'm pretty sure that I have an oil leak back there, so I will be checking those bolts for tightness the next time I have the manifold off.

Check the PCV hose at the elbow where it attaches to the manifold in the back. Some of the older hose designs tend to start leaking here. The leak(s) can be very hard to see unless you look closely.

Expect the plastic connectors attached to the back coils to be brittle; the retaining clips on these tend to break off. One of mine is held on with a plastic, heat-resistant zip-tie right now, but in retrospect it probably would have been a better idea to use a piece of wire to hold it on instead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: