MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

frost inside the van
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Driving Fun and Road Trips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AE92_IceColdIceMan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: frost inside the van Reply with quote

Hello Gurus,

This is my first time experiencing winter here in Canada. I am having difficulty dealing with frost the develop in the windshield inside the van... yes its inside the van.

what I did was to heat it up by the fan blower then scrape it off. then when things are all clear on the windshield I put the setting of the thermostat to cool then set the air vent fully open and fan to high. The direction of the air is pointed to the windshield and to my feet.
I did not use the rear heat or cool setting.
Then I drove for 1hr with this setting and no fogging happened inside the van.

When I reach home I opened all my window to let outside air come inside the van for about 5mins. then close the window and turn off the engine.

This morning when I check the van, I still have the frost in my windshield and still inside the van.

Any tips on how I can deal with this?
Whats your tips in managing the temp inside the van so no frost happen inside the van

Thanks
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: frost inside the van Reply with quote

Interior frost seems to happen around here when it's below 20F. I try to park my vehicle facing the sun so that it can help warm the glass. The back window can be cleared of frost inside and out by turning on the rear defroster.

One trick you can try is to leave a window open a bit overnight (as long as it isn't snowing/raining/etc) to help the cabin temperature get down to the temperature outside the vehicle. There are products to apply to the interior windows to help with preventing frost, but I don't have any experience with them.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
AE92_IceColdIceMan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: frost inside the van Reply with quote

thanks for the tip Brian. I'll try to leave a small window opening to normalize the temp inside the van with outside temp.

How about when you are driving, how do you set your temp inside?
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: frost inside the van Reply with quote

For the temp once we are moving along, we usually leave it like 75% or so to full hot, adjusting as necessary for comfort. Floor/defrost setting or full defrost, especially when it's snowing. I will also drive with a window (or the moonroof) open a tad if necessary.

Remember if you don't have the front defroster on to leave the system in fresh air mode during the winter. Front defrost mode won't let you switch to recirc. Using recirc in the winter will quickly cause the windows to fog up.

I would also make sure you don't have a source of moisture inside the vehicle (water leak, etc) that would contribute to causing the windows to frost up.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: frost inside the van Reply with quote

subearu wrote:
For the temp once we are moving along, we usually leave it like 75% or so to full hot, adjusting as necessary for comfort. Floor/defrost setting or full defrost, especially when it's snowing. I will also drive with a window (or the moonroof) open a tad if necessary.

Remember if you don't have the front defroster on to leave the system in fresh air mode during the winter. Front defrost mode won't let you switch to recirc. Using recirc in the winter will quickly cause the windows to fog up.

I would also make sure you don't have a source of moisture inside the vehicle (water leak, etc) that would contribute to causing the windows to frost up.

-Brian

The recirculating mode will fog the interior of your glass especially if the temp outside is below freezing .... unless no-one inside the van breathes.

Also as subearu mention, make sure there is no source of moisture in the van ..... water in rear well, moist carpeting, etc.

Especially when driving while its snowing I use defog mode with the heat on to keep the windows clear.

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
Andrew Tremeer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: frost inside the van Reply with quote

Had this problem last year. Not yet this year since it has not frozen up yet here. Two weeks ago there were still earth worms active in the garden.

Never really found a good solution, but scraping the frost off of the inside of the windshield and brushing up the resulting "snow" from the dash and putting it outside does help remove moisture from the interior.
typhoonkTheReal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: frost inside the van Reply with quote

usually means there is a lot of condensation inside the car, or water.

Do you have a leak? maybe a hole in the firewall letting in water.

Had this happen to a car of mine. No a/c. Turned out a grommet that I fed a wire though popped out in the fire wall, and was letting in a small amount of water on the inside. Plugged the hole, and the issue stopped.

just an idea Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Driving Fun and Road Trips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: