MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

How to fix rust ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nathaluc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: How to fix rust ? Reply with quote

My question is somewhat off-topic but may apply to others will older MPV's so I will ask anyway ! Both my Protege & SHO have developed wheel well rust and I am looking for a cheap DIY fix as both cars are getting older and dollars are being saved for that future MPV thumbsup

I am not looking for a perfect job and mostly want to stop the rust. I plan on grinding with a steel wire wheel, apply a primer, OEM color in spray and clearcoat. I do not want to blend with the surrounding color and don't mind if the repair is somewhat visible.

Do you have any hints to make this a relatively easy job ? Any specific products to use ? Thanks !

'96 Protege LX 1.8 auto
Future MPV owner ? Unfortunately not.
'05 Ody EX-L/RES Midnight Blue

rust0001.jpg

rust0001.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 1478 time(s)

papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fix rust ? Reply with quote

This topic could fit in the DIY section as well. But you've got the basics down. Got to get rid of the existing rust and then protect the area with a primer of zinc paint and then get your touch-up and clearcoat. I think if you want to even the paint layer, you could use that Langka stuff JD and others have used before putting the clearcoat. If it's only surface rust, you'll be fine, but if it's eaten through enough metal, you may have to consider the bondo routine as well.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
Beachnut
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fix rust ? Reply with quote

I would use a product like POR-15 or Permatex rust converter to treat the rusted area. The Permatex stuff is sold in the local automotive stores. It renders the rust inert and can be used as the primer as well. I'm sorry I can't remember the name of it right now. It's more of a milky liquid versus a paint. I used some on the spoiler that I installed on my Protege. The spoiler was from a limited edition Protege GT, but the hitch was that those were only sold in Canada so of course it was rusted on the pedestals. It's been almost 18 months and I haven't had any problems yet.
AZRonS
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: How to fix rust ? Reply with quote

Man! That rust makes a lot of us sick, just eating away at the finish. I can remember all too well how that was a problem with my cars back when I lived in Illinois.

Since living in Arizona for over 22 years, I almost don't remember what it used to look like

That picture brings back too many memories. Sad

Get that stuff stopped before it eats completely thru.

AZRonS

Old Smokey, my first MPV, 94 - 2WD, ---Gave her away!!
Wife's car---1996 Infiniti I-30, 110K---A great car!
2001 OdyEX, 94K---Could almost park Old Smokey inside her!!{Here's Old Smokey![/color][/b]
David Edwards

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fix rust ? Reply with quote

Assuming it is only on the surface (only you will know when you start working on it), grind away any visible rust with your wire brush, extending about 1 cm into good paint around all edges. Use some fine sandpaper to feather the edges. Next brush on some navel jelly and after a few minutes rinse it off, then dry immediately. Next spray it with rust converter to get at any microscopic bits you have mentioned. Next spray it with automotive primer. After it dries, feather sand it again. Next cover it with your top coat(s). Repair should be permanent if you follow these steps.

If the rust is coming through from underneath, start looking for your next car.
pmr2000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: How to fix rust ? Reply with quote

The POR-15 product works great, I applied it on my 88 RX-7 vert to 2 small spots underneath years ago and it's held up great. It hardens to a porcalin type consistency and can be painted over.
2004 MPV LX-Sunlight Silver
1988 Mazda RX-7 Convertible
1985 Nissan 300ZX
atam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fix rust ? Reply with quote

If you want just a temporary fix, how about some Rustcheck Coat & Protect? Not a permanent solution, but at least the oil will keep the metal from further rusting. BTW, do you clean out your wheel well every spring?
jborge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fix rust ? Reply with quote

Has anybody been able to battle the rust in the edges around the wheelwell? Or it just a loosing battle. I sanded down, treated, primed and painted a couple of years ago, but it is back with a vengeance.
kremsrx7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: How to fix rust ? Reply with quote

i would use an epoxy primer after you treat the surface rust, if there are small holes starting you need them cut out as no matter wat you do, it will return.

an excellent site i cant reccomend enough is www.metalmeet.com

you will find all the info on repairing rust there, they are a fantastic bunch that go out of their way to help others.

krem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Detailing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: