MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

2004 MPV Synthetic Transmission Fluid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lynnvin
2004 Titanium Silver MPV

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: 2004 MPV Synthetic Transmission Fluid Reply with quote

Hi All:

Does anyone know the type and quantity of ATF Synthetic Fluid I would need to have my 2004 MPV tranny flushed. My dealer thought it was like 15 quarts - he said if I purchased the synthetic fluid it would only cost me about $120 to flush the tranny. I already had it flushed at 40k miles and now I have a bit over 70k miles.

Apparently, from what I read synthetic fluid is the way to go.

Thanks for your help.

Vince

Vince
novalight
Administrator
A-spec Touring Edition
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 MPV Synthetic Transmission Fluid Reply with quote

Engine, with filter..........6.1 quarts [1]
Cooling System, With RR HEAT Initial Fill..........12.3 quarts

Cooling System, Without RR HEAT Initial Fill..........10.4 quarts
t
Automatic Transmission, 5 Speed Initial Fill..........Not Specified
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
5 speed 5 Speed..........10.3 quarts

2004 A-spec Touring Edition (look it up)
instagram: Tangofury
Added Suspension: Carbing Tower Bar, TEIN Stechs, Airlift Airbags, Energy Suspension Bushings
Added Exhaust: Cherry BOMB Glasspack, 22" X 3" TIP
Jipster
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 MPV Synthetic Transmission Fluid Reply with quote

Why is it you can use synthetic after 50k miles using regualar trans oil, but not with engine oil?
2004 MPV LX (Plus Pkg, Traction and Airbag Pkg, All Sport Pkg, Roof Rack, 108k miles) Cosmic Sand
1999 Buick Regal LS (Leather Pkg, auto climate control,alloys, 124,000 miles) Desert Sand
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 MPV Synthetic Transmission Fluid Reply with quote

Check the "Capacities" section at the back of your owner's manual; ours says 10.3 quarts, as noted above, but they will generally use a bit more than that while doing the flush, as some of the new will be wasted to ensure that all of the old stuff has really been flushed out. You can search around this site for the DIY instructions for doing this, to get a better understanding of the process and how and why things are done.

The current preference around here is to use DEXRON-VI (six), which is the latest and greatest, and which is manufactured by several different companies and will either be a synthetic or synthetic-blend. Some people also suggest adding a bottle of LubeGard Red, but as you are doing a full flush and not a partial exchange this may be overkill. Apparently LubeGard is very popular with transmission rebuilders, as they say it prevents a lot of premature tranny failures (and therefore warranty claims) in rebuilds.

There is supposed to be no reason today why you can't switch to a synthetic engine oil at any time. In the early days the synthetics were a little too good, because they would cause old wax deposits and such to dissolve right away, and they would also get into cracks/creases/crevices that regular oil might not penetrate as well. This is fine under normal circumstances, but in an older engine where the seals have shrunk a bit, and maybe wax is blocking a potential oil leak, this led to these engines leaking oil like a sieve, or so they say. I've also heard stories where people had oil pans that had micro-fractures in them, where the regular oil wouldn't seep out very fast but the synthetic would. So the manufacturers wised up and starting putting in oil seal conditioners and other additives to reduce or eliminate these problems. In any case, don't be surprised if you have to top up the synthetic oil a little more often than you did the regular, as this is considered normal.

If you want to make the switch (and plenty of people on here would probably question why, at this point in time) but you are worried about it, you can start off with a synthetic-blend, or just roll your own by starting with a single quart of synthetic added to the regular, then maybe adding another quart with each oil change until you reach 100% (that is, one quart, then two quarts, then three quarts, and so on). If you run into leaks or other problems then you can just drop back to using regular oil.

They say that even adding one quart of synthetic can be tremendously beneficial, because that 20% or so will still hold up even while the regular stuff is breaking down. In fact, I've seen tests where they supposedly removed a single quart of old, dirty regular oil that was ready to be changed, and replaced it with a quart of fresh synthetic, and then the blend tested out like it was practically new. I don't know if I believe that, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it for an actual engine, but I think they were trying to make a point and probably succeeded.
alschnertz
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 MPV Synthetic Transmission Fluid Reply with quote

The 10.3 qt. total sounds about right. Like scross said, that does not include what you loose with a flush obviously.

I switched to RedLine D4 (synthetic) at 10,000 miles. Now have 50K.

I drain the pan every 20K now. Refill of just the pan is 3.5 qt.

I only did a flush when first switching to the synthetic.

'06 MPV-LX, '10 Mazda3;
'60 Volvo PV544, '68 122S, '70 145S, '86 745T, '95 854T, '01 S40;
'84 Prelude;
'13 Ford Focus SE.
ponderosaTX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2004 MPV Synthetic Transmission Fluid Reply with quote

You can do your own cooler line transmission flush; it is not much more involved than changing the oil. See

http://www.mpvclub.com/diy.php?id=118

I used SuperTech Dexron VI (a synthetic blend) when I did a cooler line transmission flush in my '03 MPV a few months ago. I subsequently added a bottle of Lubegard Red because my transmission started whining, a sound I last recall hearing in my dad's 1961 Pontiac Bonneville equipped with a GM 3-spd Hydra-Matic. The Lubegard Red immediately eliminated the whine. The consensus on the BITOG (Bob is the oil guy) forums is that Dexron VI and synthetic fluids do not additives like Lubegard Red.

Most Dexron VI fluids are synthetic blends like SuperTech Dexron VI. Amalie (Wolf's Head) and Valvoline make synthetic Dextron VI fluids. The Dexron VI spec is very stringent; it implicitly requires a synthetic blend because conventional oil cannot pass some of the longevity requirements in the spec.

The normal service interval for Dextron VI is 100K miles. The Dexron VI spec is not compatible with any of the old Mercon/Dexron II/ Dexron III specs because it stipulates a maximum viscosity (6.4 cST at 100C) that is lower than the minimum viscosity (6.8 cST at 100C) in the Mercon/Dexron III specs. Nevertheless, GM recommends Dexron VI as the proper replacement for Dexron III in nearly all of its vehicles. I have also seen indications from other manufacturers that the newest generation of 6/7 speed automatic transmissions need a lower viscosity fluid like Dexon VI.

Dexron VI appears to work very well in Mazda MPV 5-spd automatic transmissions. In fact, the whine that I iniitially heard in my MPV is the only negative symptom I have seen reported for Dexron VI in an MPV 5-speed. But I don't have any convincing evidence that it is better than a synthetic Mercon/Dexron III replacement.

Valvoline Dex/Merc MaxLiife synthetic is among the most popular Mercon/Dexron III replacement fluids. Until recently, Valvoline MaxLife was incompatible with the Dexron VI spec because its viscosity was too high (7.2 cST at 100C) but Valvoline insisted on marketing MaxLife as suitable for Dexron VI applications, which it was not. Valvoline evidently recognized this position was untenable because the company recently lowered the viscosity of MaxLife to 6.1 cST at 100C, which is consistent with the Dexron VI spec but not Mercon/Dexron III. Nevertheless, MaxLife is still falsely marketed as meeting Mercon and Dexron III specs and marketed (perhaps correctly) as meeting Dexron VI specs, but it is still not Dexron VI certified. I suspect it does not use the Afton Dexron VI additive package that GM requires for certification.

So Valvoline sells two different low viscosity synthetic ATFs: MaxLife and Dexron VI, yet it insists MaxLife meets the Dexron VI spec while falsely claiming that it also meets the Mercon/Dexron III specs (which require a higher viscosity). Valvoline also sells a synthetic Mercon V fluid (7.4 cST at 100C) certified by Ford, which apparently meets the old Mercon and Dexron III specs.

Valvoline Dex/Merc Maxlife ATF may be the most cost effective, widely available synthetic fluid that meets the Dexron VI spec. Since it is not certified, I am uncertain. Valvoline Dexron VI synthetic ATF is more expensive and perhaps harder to find. If you can accept a synthetic blend, I like SuperTech Dexron VI, which sells for $3.77/quart at Wal-Mart.

I apologize if this posting is TMI (my DW's acronym for "Too Much Information").
et16

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 2004 MPV Synthetic Transmission Fluid Reply with quote

Mercon V is also fine. Try to get a full synthetic; it's better and often not much more money. Mercon V is a little thicker than Dex VI, so a little closer to the original fluid.
lynnvin
2004 Titanium Silver MPV

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 MPV Synthetic Transmission Fluid Reply with quote

Hi All:

Thanks for all of your help.

I am considering doing the DIY Flush as outlined on this forum but I am little worried when it comes to messing with the tranny - you know "Murphy's Law". The process seems simple and I am pretty handy but I never messed with a tranny before.

Thanks again for your help!

Vince
alschnertz
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 MPV Synthetic Transmission Fluid Reply with quote

It really is pretty easy. And that's a good write up. Bubba's usually are.

I found it much easier to have a helper and probably wouldn't do it without one.

Also, be sure to keep track of how much fluid you removed and replace the same amount. Sounds like that could be confusing or a pain, but if you're careful it really is not very difficult.

'06 MPV-LX, '10 Mazda3;
'60 Volvo PV544, '68 122S, '70 145S, '86 745T, '95 854T, '01 S40;
'84 Prelude;
'13 Ford Focus SE.
et16

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 MPV Synthetic Transmission Fluid Reply with quote

You can also do a partial drain from the plug, or us an oil extractor from the dipstick. I use a Pela extractor for mine.
Jipster
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 MPV Synthetic Transmission Fluid Reply with quote

I've got about 6 quarts of Merc. 3 that's about 8 years old. Thinking of using it to do a drain and fill. It hasn't been opened... is it still good?
Yeah, I'm the same guy that asked about 6 year old car wax a year or two ago. insane

2004 MPV LX (Plus Pkg, Traction and Airbag Pkg, All Sport Pkg, Roof Rack, 108k miles) Cosmic Sand
1999 Buick Regal LS (Leather Pkg, auto climate control,alloys, 124,000 miles) Desert Sand
ponderosaTX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: 2004 MPV Synthetic Transmission Fluid Reply with quote

If the oil has been stored in the original factory sealed containers, I doubt that there has been any significant degradation. This topic has been discussed on the BiTOG boards and the consensus among the cognoscenti appears to be that oil stored in sealed containers at reasonable temperatures will easily last more than 10 years without significant degradation. Container decay seems to be the biggest concern.

See http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=660931

In transmissions filled with Dex/Merc ATF, I strongly recommend including a bottle of Lubegard Red addittive ($10 at O'Reilly Auto Parts).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: