MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

HID CONVERSION KIT - To Do or Not To Do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Aftermarket Parts/Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vjofil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: HID CONVERSION KIT - To Do or Not To Do Reply with quote

I see many a sellers selling the conversion kit - from as little as $39.99 ~ $300.00 for the Mazda MPV 2000. Any ideas about do's and don't. I heard both sides of the arguments. Now want to hear from real DIYers.

So please do post.

Thanks

VJOFIL

Mazda 2000 MPV - LX w/4seasons + Sunroof
Acura 1999 3.2TL - Stock
ARJOSHUA
MPVClub Addict
left foot braker
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: HID CONVERSION KIT - To Do or Not To Do Reply with quote

IMHO....if you are going to go with HID its better get the Projector HID retrofit even if its a DIY project or not it might be expensive but its worth it.....this HID Kit might sell less but the light output sucks, first off you dont get a cut-off line so you end up blinding others, 2nd you get hotspots from a weired locations, and you will lose your high beam functions... some claim you still have a high beam function....reality its not a true high beam.....

HID kit for halogen housing are not meant to be... yes its brighter than stock halogen but your light output will be off place

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=23813

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2179082

03' MPV ES: TEIN S-Tech, 19"x 8.5 + 45 Conceptone Visions ,Fuzions 245/35/19, H.I.D Projector retro-fit FX-R w/ clear lens mod,HKS air filter, Fujitsubo Wagolis muffler,Auto Exe grill,Mintblue rearspoiler,jdm widow visors,04' Tail lights,Gargage vary front lip, Jdm side mirror blinkers
DRAMIS
Black Sleeper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: HID CONVERSION KIT - To Do or Not To Do Reply with quote

ARJOSHUA wrote:
IMHO....if you are going to go with HID its better get the Projector HID retrofit even if its a DIY project or not it might be expensive but its worth it.....this HID Kit might sell less but the light output sucks, first off you dont get a cut-off line so you end up blinding others, 2nd you get hotspots from a weired locations, and you will lose your high beam functions... some claim you still have a high beam function....reality its not a true high beam.....

HID kit for halogen housing are not meant to be... yes its brighter than stock halogen but your light output will be off place

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=23813

And believe me ARJOSHUA knows what he's talking about.... At first he was a true believer but that changed quickly. The thing is is that your lights the plastic housing is not made to withstand higher wattage. I managed to get my hands on true rally H4 80/100 watts bulbs and put them on... Bad idea I was back with a set of Silvania Silverstars super white and quite happy with them.

If its a blue look that you want get a set of El-Cheapo whatever brand at your local parts store and get ready to have a lot of friends (cops) in my neck of the woods they really like ya.

Black 2005 GX, Touring Package, K/N Filtercharger, Sylvania Silverstars, Weathertech Visors, TEIN S-Tech, Rear Spoiler, Mesh Grills, 17" Milano Wheels, Yokohama Avid V4S, 215/50/17 (Goodyear Ultragrip ICE on factory wheels for winter).
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2889621
http://gallery.mpvclub.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=4218
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: HID CONVERSION KIT - To Do or Not To Do Reply with quote

I 100000% agree with ARJ here. Go with a proper (i.e. projector) conversion if you're going to spend the clams. It's less about light output than light control.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dave
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: HID CONVERSION KIT - To Do or Not To Do Reply with quote

Agreed (and glad my CX-7 has stock projectors, even with halogen bulbs - makes the HID covnersion much easier!)
Rich. Dark. Deeply satisfying.

My rides:
'01 MPV LX
'97 Mercury Grand Marquis SOLD
'08 Mazda CX-7 Touring - my first turbo! - SOLD 04/2016
'13 BMW 328i
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: HID CONVERSION KIT - To Do or Not To Do Reply with quote

+1 on the projector lights, and +1 on having HID projectors Cool

I will find it hard to have any other vehicle w/o projectors now, preferably HID ones like my S40.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
ARJOSHUA
MPVClub Addict
left foot braker
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: HID CONVERSION KIT - To Do or Not To Do Reply with quote

For guys that have the oem projectors...one nice mod you can do is the clear lens mod...... its just a matter of swapping your projector lens it wont make your lights shine brighter but have a nice clear and crisp look for lack of better term and the cut off line is more define....most oem projectors lens have a slight frost on them which gives it a slight blurry light output...i've stop side by side with bmw's and i could really tell my cut off line is more defined and my lights are really clear....Acura TL, Honda s2k and some infinity's have already have this clear lens on thier projectors....and this are the ones that most HID projectors retro-fitters are going for...
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2179082

03' MPV ES: TEIN S-Tech, 19"x 8.5 + 45 Conceptone Visions ,Fuzions 245/35/19, H.I.D Projector retro-fit FX-R w/ clear lens mod,HKS air filter, Fujitsubo Wagolis muffler,Auto Exe grill,Mintblue rearspoiler,jdm widow visors,04' Tail lights,Gargage vary front lip, Jdm side mirror blinkers
PeterKesel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: HID CONVERSION KIT - To Do or Not To Do Reply with quote

That's really nice product.I will find it hard to have any other vehicle w/o projectors now, preferably HID ones like my S40.
HID Kit
nhzruthless818
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: HID CONVERSION KIT - To Do or Not To Do Reply with quote

you could just get the h4-2 xenon conversion kits. they are kind of right when they say there are hotspots but i fixed mine with proper adjustments. a projector is more then 2 times better but if you can't afford it regular conversion kits work. mine don't blind people. also get the bulbs for reflectors. don't get any color higher then 8,000k-10,000k. best output is 4500k-6000k. also you dont lose your high beams. i have been installing xenon H.I.D kits on cars for a couple years now. the aftermarket kits last about 4 years. i have had mine 2years no problems. on my 2001 Mercedes Benz E55 i have had them since 2004 till now and its barely losing color. for legal purposes don't get higher than 8,000k. also they are 12V 35Watts which is energy efficient.

NEVER BUY PAINTED BULBS IT COULD GET YOUR WIRING MESSED UP AND MELT HEADLIGHTS, PLUS YOU COULD GET AN IMPERSONATING A COP CAR TICKET.

1996 Mazda MPV 2WD
K&N Air Filter
Ngk performance wireset and iridium plugs
Full Sound System
H.I.D Headlights and Custom Fogs 8000k
Bosch Horns replicas (behind grille)
Full Interior and License Plate LED
Blue LED Cluster
Mercedes Home-link mirror retrofitted
oil catch can installed

1997 Mercedes Benz S500V
M119 5.0L AMG Conversion
255/45R18 Front
285/40R18 Rear

Get the bulbs with the grey coating like this. and the halogen bulb(high Beam) on the right is usually white. these kits are usually $60. they last about 4years. i have had mine 2years no problems.
h4-2.jpg

h4-2.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 1778 time(s)

mihneacordescu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: HID CONVERSION KIT - To Do or Not To Do Reply with quote

I am a fun of tuning. I am looking for someone just for talking everything is new and interesting about this subject.
I invested in my car some stuff and now I’ll add a Bi-Xenon. I think my car deserve it and is good for me to feel safe.

Professional tuning with kituri xenon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Aftermarket Parts/Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: