MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

If you encounter an 'Error in posting' when you reply to a post, try keeping the Subject line of the reply under 35 characters or so.

04 MPV power sliding door won't close
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frozenmba

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: 04 MPV power sliding door won't close Reply with quote

I have an 04 MPV with almost 40K miles. My passenger side power sliding door work fine, but the driver's side won't close. When I try to close (using the remote, or the switch inside the van or manually) it will close like normal, but before it's about to close, the door stops (as if there is something in the way)and would slide to open.

I noticed that the latch at the back of the sliding door looks broken. the position is different (compared to the other side), and I can't even move it. has anyone replaced this part? is this something you can DIY?
frozenmba

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 04 MPV power sliding door won't close Reply with quote

i think it's called the striker?
Gebco
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: 04 MPV power sliding door won't close Reply with quote

Can you post a pic? The only reason my PSDs don't close is if something is blocking them.
08 Town and Country Limited 100 000 km
02 MPV ES Midnight Blue 125 000 km - Sold
05 Kia Amanti - aka Old Man Car 68 000 km
96 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed Dark Green 105000 km - Sold

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Bob and Doug McKenzie
jdp72

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: 04 MPV power sliding door won't close Reply with quote

Our passenger side PSD would do this all the time... Right before the warranty ran out on our '04 MPV ES we took it to the dealer to have it checked out and they replaced all the connections and everything. A few months and a few thousand miles later it did the same thing. Here are my steps to getting it back to working (temporarily until it happens again)...

1. Make sure nothing is in the path of the door, including little toys jammed under the PSD track mechanism.

2. Clean the PSD electronic connections with isopropyl alcohol (sometimes grease and/or dirt gets on them).

3. Turn off the PSD and put it on manual and close the door manually, then turn it back on and see if it works.

4. If all else fails, turn off the PSD, close it manually, disconnect the battery and let it sit 20 mins. Reconnect and turn the PSD back on...Only had to do this once, which it got real bad right before we took it in 3 times and they would only put more and MORE grease on the tracks...took it to another dealer which they agreed they would just replace the whole assembly.

Hope this helps...

DW's ride:
Loaded '04 Tsunami-Blue ES
All the options except moonroof and kitchen sink

My rides:
'98 Pearl Blue FLSTC & '00 Black FXSTB Harley's
'07 Charcoal Beige Mercury Mariner Hybrid
All the options including moon roof

Last edited by jdp72 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
frozenmba

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 04 MPV power sliding door won't close Reply with quote

I brought it to the neaest car repair shop which happens to be a collision repair shop. He just manually closed the sliding door from the inside (i only tried it from the outside, which does not work) and pushed the door to align.

I guess he's used to this kind of stuff. He didn't even charge me.
jdp72

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 04 MPV power sliding door won't close Reply with quote

frozenmba wrote:
(i only tried it from the outside, which does not work)

Hmmm...I am able to close mine from the outside and the inside, although I do admit it is easier to do from the inside due to the better interior handle..

DW's ride:
Loaded '04 Tsunami-Blue ES
All the options except moonroof and kitchen sink

My rides:
'98 Pearl Blue FLSTC & '00 Black FXSTB Harley's
'07 Charcoal Beige Mercury Mariner Hybrid
All the options including moon roof

Last edited by jdp72 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
frozenmba

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 04 MPV power sliding door won't close Reply with quote

I am able to close the sliding door with any method: remote, switch, outside handle, inside handle... but this time when it won't close, the guy closed it using the inside handle.

Now i can open/close using remote, switch, inside/outside handle.

what he actually did was your option #3, using the inside handle to manually close the door.
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 04 MPV power sliding door won't close Reply with quote

You can reset the slider system by removing the ROOM fuse, IIRC. That can also help with some quirks that it has, even after checking the bottom track to verify nothing is remotely in the way. Manually closing it is good to try as well.

-Brian

Mazda MPV---MPVClub.com

2011 Ford Explorer XLT, Tuxedo Black Metallic - the "Beast"
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Sterling Grey Metallic - the "Hyper"

2002 Mazda MPV ES - retired
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: