MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Ready to Roll
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Driving Fun and Road Trips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iggyES
MPV n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Ready to Roll Reply with quote

We'll be making our third trip to Myrtle Beach SC in the MPV in a few weeks and the fam is excited. I'm excited to use the new Sears X-Cargo Sport 20 box that I just bought. Very Happy

The first trip was made with the kids in the middle row and the third row folded to accomodate our luggage.

Due to my wife being in a cast the second trip we borrowed an older Sears box from a friend so she could sit in the second row with her foot elevated while our daughter rode shotgun and our son got the third row to himself.

It was a treat to be able to utilize all three rows for seating that we opted to buy our own box for this and any future trips. I picked it up for $160 on sale at Sears and tried (unsuccessfully Evil or Very Mad ) to mount it to the factory cross bars. So $233 later I now have the Thule 45050 kit attatched to the side rails and am ready to drive. lol

Here's a couple of pics taken before I ordered the Thule kit.

2004 Titanium Grey Metallic ES
-Silverstar turn signals in front + chrome turn signals in back = no more egg yolk effect
-JDM (ebay) rain visors
-Blue Batmobile custom vinyl overlays
-215/65/16 Kumho KW22's on 16x7 MB Seven X wheels for winter use

antlind
MPVClub Resident
Mazda-holic
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ready to Roll Reply with quote

Why were you unable to use the factory cross bars?
2006 Mazda5 GT (Touring) AT
Platinum Grey, Running Advanti 17x7 in Summer, Window Visors, Front Lip, H&R Lowering Springs, Fujita CAI

2003 MPV LX
Silver, R/Rack, M/Guards, Bumper Guard, OEM Fogs, Vogtland Springs, Tokico (Blues) Shocks & Struts, Mazda6 17s and Yokohama 225x55R17
iggyES
MPV n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ready to Roll Reply with quote

I could not tighten the u-bolts for the box to the cross bar due to them being thicker near the side rails.
-Silverstar turn signals in front + chrome turn signals in back = no more egg yolk effect
-JDM (ebay) rain visors

Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ready to Roll Reply with quote

We also use a box on top for hauling gear. It cuts the gas mileage a bit, but greatly adds to the luggage capacity. You should get a lot of good use out of that box.
[b:a970de293f]Dan[/b:a970de293f]
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
antlind
MPVClub Resident
Mazda-holic
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ready to Roll Reply with quote

iggyES wrote:
I could not tighten the u-bolts for the box to the cross bar due to them being thicker near the side rails.

Oh, I also had a similar problem with my cargo box so I purchased a new set of U-bolts from the local Canadian Tire store that fit the OE bars. I then drilled new holes in the cargo box for the new U-bolts. This was a lot cheaper than replacing the cross-bars.
Anthony

Platinum Grey, Running Advanti 17x7 in Summer, Window Visors, Front Lip, H&R Lowering Springs, Fujita CAI

2003 MPV LX
Silver, R/Rack, M/Guards, Bumper Guard, OEM Fogs, Vogtland Springs, Tokico (Blues) Shocks & Struts, Mazda6 17s and Yokohama 225x55R17
iggyES
MPV n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ready to Roll Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
We also use a box on top for hauling gear. It cuts the gas mileage a bit, but greatly adds to the luggage capacity. You should get a lot of good use out of that box.

Oh yeah, we will get a lot of good use out of the box. We got spoiled last year using our friends. Both of our kids are very pleased as well since they will each get their own row of seats. Smile

-JDM (ebay) rain visors

iggyES
MPV n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ready to Roll Reply with quote

antlind wrote:
iggyES wrote:

Oh, I also had a similar problem with my cargo box so I purchased a new set of U-bolts from the local Canadian Tire store that fit the OE bars. I then drilled new holes in the cargo box for the new U-bolts. This was a lot cheaper than replacing the cross-bars.
Anthony

Well, now you tell me! lol I never even thought of buying a new set of u-bolts. Oh well........

-JDM (ebay) rain visors

antlind
MPVClub Resident
Mazda-holic
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ready to Roll Reply with quote

iggyES wrote:
antlind wrote:
iggyES wrote:

Anthony

Well, now you tell me! lol I never even thought of buying a new set of u-bolts. Oh well........

Might have saved yourself $213..... Wink

2003 MPV LX
iggyES
MPV n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ready to Roll Reply with quote

Well, I have tried two local auto parts stores, a tire shop, a camp-out, an rv shop and a local shop that makes custom u-bolts with no luck. The shop that makes them custom does nothing smaller than a 1/2 diameter.

Guess I could drill some bigger holes in the box?

-JDM (ebay) rain visors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Driving Fun and Road Trips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: