MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Do you prefer real or fake?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you prefer a real or an artificial Christmas tree?
Real
61%
 61%  [ 16 ]
Artificial
30%
 30%  [ 8 ]
None - I don't celebrate Christmas
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 26

TeamEskimo
MPVClub Preacher
Yer walkin' the plank!
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Do you prefer real or fake? Reply with quote

Christmas trees that is! We're a real kind of family. In fact this was the best Christmas tree getting expedition in a long time, due to, snow and hunting it ourselves. Just like the way I picture it should be...

Yes, the needles suck to clean up afterwards, but I still wouldn't have it any other way!

I've attached a couple of shots from the trip...
Brent

2002 Sunlight Silver LX - 63,000 miles - 4 Seasons, Luxury, Security Packages, Rear Air, Cassette, Roof Rack, Step Plate and Cargo Net
'03 Dodge Neon SXT - 84,000 miles
'98 Chevy Suburban Diesel 4x4 - 158,000 miles, 6300 lbs, 23 mpg - Big rig!

Teameskimo and the youngest...
Brent&Ben small.JPG

Brent&Ben small.JPG - File downloaded or viewed 640 time(s)

Having a blast in the snow...
three kids small.JPG

three kids small.JPG - File downloaded or viewed 617 time(s)

Loaded and ready to go!
MPV tree small.JPG

MPV tree small.JPG - File downloaded or viewed 629 time(s)

subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Do you prefer real or fake? Reply with quote

We go and cut a tree every year at a place about 45 minutes from here. It was a little cold this year - we probably found the tree the quickest this year. Nothing fancy, just something under 7'.

Didn't take the MPV this year...

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
rpieper
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Do you prefer real or fake? Reply with quote

Even with older kids --- cutting your own is great. Middle son actually said this year that I need to get some acreage and grow our own!!

I have actually been looking at 5-10 acres -- semi-retirement time!

98 White ES AllSport 86K and loving it
95 White Honda Accord 168K - Son hijacked it for himself
92 Black Volvo 240 275K and died of a brain fry
Beachnut
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Do you prefer real or fake? Reply with quote

We have recently been getting real trees for the last four years. I really got tired of those plastic trees. There's not too many places here in sunny FL to go tree hunting though unless you can fit an 80' slash pine in your home! Our favorite is the frasier fir brought down from North Carolina.
Scott
'03 MPV LX/GFX Midnight Blue
'98 Volvo V70 T5
tommyj

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Do you prefer real or fake? Reply with quote

We perfer Plastic trees, easy up and easy down. Don't have to shop and dispose trees....

Beautiful Kids, they are what life is all about.... Now is the time to give them a gift that will serve them all of their lives, good health... Limit junk foods, pancakes, syrup, junk cereals and soda pop(sweets)... Feed them milk, good meat, grain breads, and good veggies... Read the food labels to avoid "toxic waste" foods. Yeah, easier said than done, been there... In the end You can say, "At least we tried"... It is hard to loose a kid to cancer.. We have been there..........

Meeeerrrrrry Christmas to One and All
Tj

03 LX Coastal Blue 4 seasons+tow+automirror+rack
00 Yamha Street legal Golf Car
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Do you prefer real or fake? Reply with quote

A few years ago, we broke down and bought a purely natural synthetic tree. Wink We always had bought a 'Charlie Brown' tree, usually a Douglas Fir, and it was a constant struggle to keep it upright and keep from soaking the gifts while watering the thing until I could pitch it out the front door the day after Christmas. I think a family outing of cuttin down the family tree is a great tradition, but I know that for me, that outing would very closely follow the scene from Lampoons Christmas Vacation, with my luck.

Now we just put the tree up and take it down. We did search hard to make sure that our tree looks real. You can't tell it's fake unless you look very closely. We put it up the day after Thanksgiving and take it down normally on New Year's Eve... and I don't have a house full of needles. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you prefer real or fake? Reply with quote

Great family photos there Brent and Brian!! Love the fun and the smiles!!

Voted Real but the Radiata pine we have here is quite open. Two years ago, I got the permit and given directions, pulled the trailer and chainsawed a nice one down - 6" trunk. But when it was flat on the ground it was 16ft long... duh!! So I shortened it and it overflowed the trailer still - cos our ceilings are 10ft... got it home and could hardly get it through the doors, had to twist and rotate, got it in the steel bucket with rocks and it was still top heavy after shortening to 10ft, well brushing against the ceiling, so I nailed a 2x4 wooden brace to it down through the carpet and onto the stem. Well it wasn't moving then! We decorated the monster and it had to stay up till after New year!! I used the chainsaw inside to get it out with least mess !! Shocked devil

Needless to say, we have been given a hand-me-down 1200 piece tree which we used last year and this year. Obviously much cleaner - but where's the smell? The life size needles and bendy shape?

Merry Christmas all from NZ...

Perhaps a real one again next year...

goggles

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
87 Capella/626 1.8i 176km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you prefer real or fake? Reply with quote

Yeah, the cleanup can be fun (or not), and the watering that first week or so after cutting one down can be like feeding a baby...

Last year we cut down a 7'+ tree, and it had to be nearly as wide as it was tall. Very full, was able to use most of our Hallmark ornaments on it. This year, we only opened one of our many boxes of 'em, just happy with the lights on it really. Either that or we were just lazy... Mr. Green

Chainsaw to tear 'er down, eh? Why haven't I thought of that? banghead The kids would probably freak Shocked to see the tree dismantled that way, maybe I'll just hacksaw it apart.

We have a city tree dump site just a few blocks down. They mulch 'em up for the residents, free for the taking.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
RedWingsGuy
MPVClub Addict
Ex-Hockey Taxi Driver
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Do you prefer real or fake? Reply with quote

We've been artificial for many years now. Our latest model came already wired with lights. Not as good of a job as I can do, but there are so many other things to tend to these days.

When I lived in Michigan, we had a 14' Colorado Blue Spruce out front. I used to put 1500 lights in it. Took the entire day after Thanksgiving. Used to get lots of people coming by to see it. Snow melted off it very quickly blake . The indoor tree became secondary, so we went artificial.

When I was a kid in California, we would get a live nursery pine tree and plant it in the yard after the holiday. One of them grew to 40 ft before getting some infestation that killed it. Like to try it some year here in Tennessee. Can't keep 'em indoors too long in a cool climate or the think it is spring already and get damaged in the cold. Maybe I'll get a blue spruce....

2003 LX Coastal Blue - Rear Air - 195,000 Miles. Sold 9/27/2013.

1990 Lumina Rust Bucket - 125K miles and rusted out Scrapped 8/05

2008 Scion xB Silver - Just automatic transmission - 60K Miles goaliegirl's ride

2011 Scion xB Crimson - Automatic transmission and Alpine Audio - 25K Miles My ride

2007 Passat Wagon from the in-laws - DW's ride.

Been there, done that.
Went somewhere else, did it again.
TeamEskimo
MPVClub Preacher
Yer walkin' the plank!
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Do you prefer real or fake? Reply with quote

Yowza, Graeme, that sounds like the Tim "Tool Man" Taylor version of finding a Christmas tree. A chainsaw indoors? You are the man! super BTW, my dad and mother are leaving Wednesday for a month in your neck of the woods. I have an aunt in Palmerston North, and they'll be basing trips out of that area after flying into Auckland. That's what, about 140 miles or so south of you? (I'll let Alex' tool convert that to km.) While I'm sure my aunt will have plenty of sugeestions of stuff for them to do, are there any "must see" things I should tell them about? They're in their 60's, so no mountain climbing anymore... Wink

RWG - I like the idea of planting a live tree after the holidays, have a feeling that might be easier said then done in upstate NY, though... Wink Actually the tree we cut down was on the property of some friends of my parents. I helped them plant 500 trees in an old cornfield about 10-12 years ago, right after they'd built their house. They've apparently been giving away trees for a number of years now to thin them out, and plant some new ones each year. Kind of cool to have your own private tree lot - good excuse to have family and friends over around the holidays!

Hope your holidays were great!
Brent

2002 Sunlight Silver LX - 63,000 miles - 4 Seasons, Luxury, Security Packages, Rear Air, Cassette, Roof Rack, Step Plate and Cargo Net
'03 Dodge Neon SXT - 84,000 miles
'98 Chevy Suburban Diesel 4x4 - 158,000 miles, 6300 lbs, 23 mpg - Big rig!
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you prefer real or fake? Reply with quote

We have been using real trees, except a couple of times we have resurrected the 25 year old plastic (falling apart) tree we store in the shed. If we are planning to be away at Christmas time, we don't buy a real tree since we won't be around to water it. But we can throw up the plastic one and still have some "tree tradition" when we are home.

The previous owner of our home planted (or transplanted) a clump of what I believe are Black Hills Spruce in the backyard. There were seven or eight of them all crammed together in a spot just two or three square feet. Last summer I transplanted them so that they are no longer a clump, and will have a chance to grow. I hope in a few years we will be able to harvest them and use them as our Christmas trees.

Dan
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
Sold (scrapped) on 10/30/04 at 165,599.4 miles....1987 Honda Accord DX (165K miles)--Tan Car
Sold (scrapped) on 9/26/09 at 148406.4 miles and 24 years old....1985 Toyota Camry LE --Brown Car (Dan's former daily driver)
And more human powered bikes than I can count.....
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you prefer real or fake? Reply with quote

TeamEskimo wrote:
Yowza, Graeme, that sounds like the Tim "Tool Man" Taylor version of finding a Christmas tree. A chainsaw indoors? You are the man! super

Hadn't thought of it that way Wink but I sure did get carried away!! And I never injured myself or any of the family in the process - and I never broke anything either... Very Happy

TeamEskimo wrote:
BTW, my dad and mother are leaving Wednesday for a month in your neck of the woods. I have an aunt in Palmerston North, and they'll be basing trips out of that area after flying into Auckland. That's what, about 140 miles or so south of you? (I'll let Alex' tool convert that to km.) While I'm sure my aunt will have plenty of sugeestions of stuff for them to do, are there any "must see" things I should tell them about? They're in their 60's, so no mountain climbing anymore... Wink

The weather is about due to fine up so i'm sure they will enjoy the scenery. The distance is more like 200 miles i think from Tokoroa north of Taupo, down to PN - about 3.5 hrs on a narrow busy twisting hilly dual HW. (There's a map on my website) See if they can get up to Lake Taupo for at least a couple days, it is a huge lake and a scenic spot with mountains to the south. Helicopter rides, cruise boats, bungy jumping - ahem... and then to travel to Rotorua - a must see for all the geysers, mud pools and indigenous Maori culture. Hamilton is a plain but pretty city, and then south towards a place called Waitomo - good accomm and great glow worm caves. Back to taupo and over to Napier and Hastings - scenic journey, rugged landscape
and there is an isolated gannet colony accessible by tourism tractor and seated trailer ride. A few vineyards over there too - another enjoyable look-see. Wink Back to PN via Manawatu gorge - my DW hates it when I drive the opposite route and she is close to the water... Another place to visit would be New Plymouth and Mt Taranaki - just for scenery.

Wellington city, 2hrs sth of PN, is the capital with steep hills to the foreshore and main hub of town. Rebuilt the disused wharves into a marvellous walk through and cultural activities tied together.

Palmerston North can be a windy city but an enjoyable stay. Not too much evening culture there. Well Brent, great to see you start this post...
hope your folks have a great time - we are choosing the same time during school summer hols to get out and away ourselves. We will go Jan 5 and will be home about Jan 23, if I can help any further, PM or email me.

Cheers

goggles

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
87 Capella/626 1.8i 176km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
RedWingsGuy
MPVClub Addict
Ex-Hockey Taxi Driver
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you prefer real or fake? Reply with quote

Brent,

Planting the tree can be done in northern climates, but there are a few caveats. First, you should dig your hole before the ground freezes - makes it a bit easier - and of course take measure to make sure your hole is not a hazard to anyone wandering in your yard! brows

Second, the tree cannot be indoors at room temperature any more than one week in the frozen north. Keep it on the porch sheltered from the elements for a few weeks before and after Christmas. Potted or ball-and-bag trees are rather sensitive to the bitter cold and their roots need to be protected from drying out and excesive cold temperatures.

If you have a sun porch at 50 degrees, you can extend that indoor week to about 10 days.

You should get the tree in the ground within a couple of weeks of taking it back outside, just so it remains dormant.

I never did the potted tree when I lived up north because the timing is so short indoors. But nothing beats the smell of a live tree and if you were planning to plant one in the yard anyway you get a 2-for out of it.

2003 LX Coastal Blue - Rear Air - 195,000 Miles. Sold 9/27/2013.

1990 Lumina Rust Bucket - 125K miles and rusted out Scrapped 8/05

2008 Scion xB Silver - Just automatic transmission - 60K Miles goaliegirl's ride

2011 Scion xB Crimson - Automatic transmission and Alpine Audio - 25K Miles My ride

2007 Passat Wagon from the in-laws - DW's ride.

Been there, done that.
Went somewhere else, did it again.
tyler
Mega Party Vehicle!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Do you prefer real or fake? Reply with quote

we sport the fake ones.
>>tyler<<
1991 MPV 4wd 3.0L V6!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: