MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

If you encounter an 'Error in posting' when you reply to a post, try keeping the Subject line of the reply under 35 characters or so.

How much to fix oil pan gasket leak?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kickapoo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: How much to fix oil pan gasket leak? Reply with quote

Well, it seems I became a member none too soon here Shocked

I brought my 03 MPV in to the dealer this morning because I could smell something burning. From reading through this website I had narrowed it down to two things, either the alternator or the oil pan gasket.

I didn't tell the guy what I thought it was, just that it was a burning smell. No warning lights were on, etc.

He just called and said the oil pan gasket was leaking and it was $420 to fix.

Is that right?

Is there a spot where I can look up what parts/labor will cost me?

As a woman, any time I walk into a repair place I always have to be prepared to be completely ripped off , so any ammunition you can give me regarding what this repair SHOULD cost would be very helpful!

2003 Mazda MPV lx-sv Shimmering Sand
Kickapoo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: How much to fix oil pan gasket leak? Reply with quote

geez, nobody? I need to leave work to head back over to the dealer in 20 min...
darom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How much to fix oil pan gasket leak? Reply with quote

On my 2002, the oil pan gasket was leaking as well. The gasket itself was about $55-60. It took me about 3 hours to replace it myself (very easy job). Most of that time got wasted on cleaning the old pan.

Just do it yourself. There is a thread of Bubba doing it with pictures. Very helpful.

Mine is stll leaking oil a little - I think it is coming from the front timing chain/cam cover.

2002 Mazda MPV LX
1967 Camaro RS
1994 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummins
Kickapoo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How much to fix oil pan gasket leak? Reply with quote

well, I'm home, 608 dollars poorer. Sad

150 was for a coolant flush and fill, which at 83K miles I had never had done, and 20 was for an oil change, but 187.50 was for a new oil pan & gasket and 212.70 was for labor. Plus there were a few nuts and bolts on the exhaust that had corroded and had to be replaced when they took the exhaust off for the gasket repair.

I am definitely not a DIY'er on the MPV-the fan control module took us several hours and killed my manicure, so that was the extent of our journey into handymanville.

I did use three coupons, one was for the 19.99 oil change, one was for a free rotation/balance, one was for a free car rental during repair, and they also gave me a 20% off customer loyalty coupon for the labor. Still was a freakin' lot of money.

Bmwlover540i
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: How much to fix oil pan gasket leak? Reply with quote

Actually I would be happy with all that got done for that price!
Pan is a pain in the butt but it can be done for a DIYer.

I think the most common problems for a MPV is the oil pan gasket, and exhaust leak.

So knowing that you got both of those fixed and a coolant flush AND an oil change. Thats a great price IMO.

-Clayton
Fav. Quote- When in doubt floor it!!! Smile

2000 Mazda MPV (129,994mi), Red LX: Cold air intake, 0W-30 German Castrol Oil, Redline Waterwetter, Silverstar headlights, Interstate Mega-ton Plus with 1000CA!!!
1997 Ford F-150 (211,856mi), Tan, LTX: 10W-30 PP
2001 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport Plus (78,087mi), Red, DS: SilverStars, 0w-30 German Castrol Oil
Kickapoo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: How much to fix oil pan gasket leak? Reply with quote

Yeah, I actually feel a lot better about it this morning.

I was just SO staggered by the cost at first!

My next door neighbor said last night "be glad you don't have a mercedes", she just spend 1500 on a head gasket issue which she still doesn't think is fixed, and her car is only 3 years old...

Dan-jan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How much to fix oil pan gasket leak? Reply with quote

I've got a 2003 LX also, and I replaced my oil pan gasket in January. It wasn't something I'd say was easy - it was indeed kind of a pain in the butt with lots of back time under the vehicle with a seriously grimy cleanup. I agree that I think you did OK with your labor and parts bill. You got a lot of work for it.
2003 MPV LX - 200k miles
1951 Willys CJ3A
owr084

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How much to fix oil pan gasket leak? Reply with quote

The oil pan has been re-designed for the 02/03 models. The old style had a tendency to leak. So, the new one should be leak free for a long time...

Have you ever flushed or changed the transmission fluid. Contrary to what Mazda says, it is not "lifetime."

RBB
2007 Volkswagen Eos 2.0T
2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI Diesel
2002 Mazda MPV ES
novalight
Administrator
A-spec Touring Edition
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How much to fix oil pan gasket leak? Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you ever flushed or changed the transmission fluid.

This is a must, If your jack rabbit driver I'd say do it now (My opinion; go synthetic)

Added Suspension: Carbing Tower Bar, TEIN Stechs, Airlift Airbags, Energy Suspension Bushings

Kickapoo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: How much to fix oil pan gasket leak? Reply with quote

The transmission fluid has been changed a few times when we were dealing with the "shift shock" issue. They checked it when I was there and said it still looked good. I think the last time the xmission fluid was changed was about 4 years ago.

I'm a pretty careful driver, when I was driving with my husband in the car last month he said "you know, this car has six cylinders, you can use them all" Very Happy because I tend not to hit the accelerator hard. I do drive fast, but it's highway cruising speed fast, not start/stop fast.

About the only other thing going on with the mpv now is that the dealer says that the windshield is very pitted, which doesn't surprise me because most of the mileage on the car is highway, so it gets a lot of debris thrown at it at high speeds. No biggie from my perspective, though, it looks fine to me.

sonicsc1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: How much to fix oil pan gasket leak? Reply with quote

mine is going back for the fourth time to the dealer to replace the gasket lucky im still under warrenty for 9 more months only have 25,000 miles on 05!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: