MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

If you encounter an 'Error in posting' when you reply to a post, try keeping the Subject line of the reply under 35 characters or so.

P0431--need opinion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
302tim

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: P0431--need opinion Reply with quote

Glad I found this site--tremendous amount of info. I have been lurking for awhile but now I need some help:

I searched and read up on all related subjects in the forum and am looking for some advise on whether I am headed in the right direction. I have a 2002 MPV ES with CA emissions. I did the whole engine wash/misfire routine last year (wish I had been a board member then) and had some bad misfires and associated codes. Replaced coils/plugs and in doing so misrouted and reattached the LH plug wires wrong. Pretty bad misfire (flashing CEL) drove a few blocks to try to clear. Finally sorted out wires and it now runs fine. Misfire codes cleared. Now have P0431 code.

Am pretty certain the short drive with the non-firing cylinders contaminated the LH pre-cat, causing the P0431 code. Have been driving it for awhile now with CEL (steady--only code is a consistent P0431, even after resetting). Now have to pass CA smog and obviously won't pass with present condition.

Majority seem to advise this is (unfortunately) not a simple O2 sensor issue. So, believe my "fix" is to replace the bank 2 (LH) pre-cat which appears to be welded into the LH exhaust manifold?

Don't have a manual so I subscribed to Alldat*a (can I use a commercial name here?). They show a Mazda p/n of AJ1740550A for a LH catalytic converter ($293.65) and AJ512050XA ($765.56) for a LH exhaust manifold--aren't they 1/same??

Seems like a lot of you have mentioned ~$1K to have dealer replace so I'm pretty convinced it is one complete assembly--right? I will do the labor, just want to see if I am on the right track with disagnosis. I can get with Mazda next week to sort out the right p/n if no one has any insight here, just found the Alldat*a info confusing.

BTW, anyone find Alldat*a lacking? Can't locate manifold or converter replacement instructions, can't find torque values, etc--maybe I'm not searching right but I spent 1.5 hrs looking for that data and am pretty disappointed not to find it--I'm sure it's in the Mazda paper manual that they say they get their data from??

Anyway, thanks for any help you can pass to this newbie--mainly hoping you guys can confirm the LH pre-cat is my issue before I spend the big $$ and pass on any surprises I might have during the replacement.

Thanks in advance to you all--keep up the great site!

302Tim
- 2002 Mazda MPV ES
- 2004 Ford F-150
- 1982 Honda CB900F
- 1975 Kawasaki H1 500
- 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28
00incmh

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: P0431--need opinion Reply with quote

Sorry I havn't had time to post this sooner, but you can buy the manifold with the converter. I couldn't find the part number of the whole assy. but it should be labeled #2 on the attached pic. (if I attached it correctly) they call it "manifold w/ converter left." www.metromotorgroup.com has the whole assy., not sure if it's Cali or not though, for $783.72.

Being new to the MPV myself I don't have much to tell you from personal experience, but figure I'd give you my $.02 and maybe it'll help.

Manifold02.gif

Manifold02.gif - File downloaded or viewed 1469 time(s)

subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: P0431--need opinion Reply with quote

I know when I had my LH (radiator side) exhaust manifold (w/ the integrated cat) replaced, it wasn't a cheap part from Mazda. Thankfully under warranty at the time though.

-Brian

Mazda MPV---MPVClub.com

2011 Ford Explorer XLT, Tuxedo Black Metallic - the "Beast"
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Sterling Grey Metallic - the "Hyper"

2002 Mazda MPV ES - retired
302tim

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: P0431--need opinion Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I ordered the parts from Mazda yesterday, $765.56 for the manifold/converter, $13.06 for the exhaust gasket, and $28.32 for the manifold gasket.

Can anyone confirm though--is this the right part to replace for a P0431 code??

Thanks in advance.

Tim

302Tim
- 2002 Mazda MPV ES
- 2004 Ford F-150
- 1982 Honda CB900F
- 1975 Kawasaki H1 500
- 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: