MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

If you encounter an 'Error in posting' when you reply to a post, try keeping the Subject line of the reply under 35 characters or so.

2001 MVP Can't shift out of Park - Had to TOW!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spudz72

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: 2001 MVP Can't shift out of Park - Had to TOW!! Reply with quote

I just bought the van yesterday and today I went to leave work and could not get it out of Park. I called Mazda service and they told me the usual things like make sure your foot is on the break etc etc. I'm used to Manual transmission which I prefer but I know how to drive an automatic. Couldn't get it out of Park still.. So they told me I would have to get it towed. So opened the manual in the glove box and found there was a manual override for the shift lock. So I was thinking why didn't mazda tell me about this! Anyway turns out I still could not get it out of Park even while depressing that. I tried pushing the car back and forth, still couldn't get it out of park. I can start it fine and I can move the wheel back and forth and everything just can't get it out of Park. So I have to tow it. Ticks me off as I just bought the car yesterday and a day later I had to take it into the shop. Second mazda now I have bought that required service the day after I bought it! argh! Last time is was as stuck EGR Valve in a protege, $450 after labour and parts.

What confuses me about this problem is that I could not shift out of Park even with the overlock? I have read of others having this issue but the override always worked. So I don't know what to think of this issue. I hadn't had any problems like this since I bought it yesterday and I called the owner and he came out to see it and said he had never had this problem before either. He had CAA so at least he got it towed to the shop for me for free. Just hope I'm not going to get a shock when I find out what the prob is.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks.
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 MVP Can't shift out of Park - Had to TOW!! Reply with quote

If it isn't the park-brake shift-interlock, then it could be the park parts in the tranny or some issue with the steering column. Hopefully it's an easy fix and that the previous owner isn't holding back on some information about the vehicles history.

-Brian

Mazda MPV---MPVClub.com

2011 Ford Explorer XLT, Tuxedo Black Metallic - the "Beast"
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Sterling Grey Metallic - the "Hyper"

2002 Mazda MPV ES - retired
rollie1960
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 MVP Can't shift out of Park - Had to TOW!! Reply with quote

I wish you luck and hope that's it's something real small and cheap.
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 MVP Can't shift out of Park - Had to TOW!! Reply with quote

The seller should be taking care of this for you.

The electric solenoid that forms the shift interlock has been known to fail on any car, not particularly the MPV but it's as likely as any car. All cars with one have a manual override for it. It's handled in several different ways by the various cars.
You should hear the solenoid kick when you step on the brake if it's not too noisy around. If the manual override does not work, then I would guess the interlock system is in working order, unless it's a problem with the physical movement of the parts that the solenoid moves(ie if the solenoid can't move it then neither can the manual override method). That's by the shifter handle in the steering column. Another possible issue is with the shift cable or even the handle itself. Can you pull the handle toward you or is it preventing you from even doing that? The worst case is something in the tranny.

MPV gone Sad
current: 07 Impala SS, 98 Grand Voyager LE
spudz72

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 MVP Can't shift out of Park - Had to TOW!! Reply with quote

Quote:
The seller should be taking care of this for you.

Yes I agree, and I'm hoping he will do that...

Quote:

The electric solenoid that forms the shift interlock has been known to fail on any car, not particularly the MPV but it's as likely as any car. All cars with one have a manual override for it. It's handled in several different ways by the various cars.
You should hear the solenoid kick when you step on the brake if it's not too noisy around. If the manual override does not work, then I would guess the interlock system is in working order, unless it's a problem with the physical movement of the parts that the solenoid moves(ie if the solenoid can't move it then neither can the manual override method). That's by the shifter handle in the steering column. Another possible issue is with the shift cable or even the handle itself. Can you pull the handle toward you or is it preventing you from even doing that? The worst case is something in the tranny.

Yes I was hearing a clicking sound when I put my foot on the break, although it wasn't really loud but I could hear something for sure. Yes I could also pull the shift handle towards me as well. Everything seemed to be as normal just I could not get it out of Park no matter what I did.

I am hoping it's not the worst case scenario for both myself and the owners sake. We'll see I guess.. should hear back today from the mazda dealer and I will update the post...

Thanks for the comments thus far...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: