MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Bigger is better
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Bigger is better Reply with quote

From yahoo.com, courtesy of CNNMoney.

Car Crash Death Rates: Size Still Matters
by Peter Valdes-Dapena
Monday, April 23, 2007

New statistics released Thursday by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety show that, overall, driving has gotten much safer in the last 11 years.

During the years 2002 to 2005, there were 79 driver deaths per million registered 2001-2004 model year vehicles, according to the Institute. By contrast, during the years 1990 to 1994, there were 110 deaths per million 1989 to 1993 model year vehicles on the road then. That represents a 30 percent reduction in the overall death rate.

Most of that difference can be attributed to safer vehicle designs and to the addition of Electronic Stability Control on more vehicles, especially SUVs, according to the Institute.

The vehicles with the lowest death rates were the General Motors', Fortune 500) Chevrolet Astro van, the Infiniti G35 sedan, the BMW 7-series sedan and the Audi A4/S4 Quattro. The Astro, a full-sized van, had a death rate of 7 per million. The Audi A4/S4 had 14 deaths per million registered cars.

The vehicles with the highest fatality rates were 2-door, 2-wheel-drive versions of the Chevrolet Blazer small SUV, the Acura RSX small car, the Nissan 350Z sports car, the Kia Spectra compact car, the Pontiac Sunfire compact car and the Kia Rio subcompact car. Death rates for those cars ranged from 232 per million for the Blazer to 175 for the Rio.

Death rates are computed based on data from the Federal Government's Fatality Analysis Reporting System and vehicle registration data from The Polk Company.

Since men tend to die more often in traffic crashes than women, the Institute statistically adjusts the data to account for models with more male or female drivers .

Overall, midsize and large luxury cars have the lowest death rates, according to the Institute, while small 4-door cars have the highest death rates. Of the 15 vehicles with the lowest death rates, none were small cars.

Not that drivers have to get the largest vehicles to be safe, said Insurance Institute spokesman Russ Rader.

"You don't have to buy a tank to get safety," he said.

Midsized cars, especially those with smaller four and six cylinder engines, provide excellent fuel economy and have relatively low fatality rates, said Rader.

Differences in drivers, not just the vehicles themselves, can also influence death rates, according to the Insurance Institute. For example, expensive luxury cars may be safer than less expensive cars, but less expensive cars are also purchased by younger, less experienced drivers which may partly account for higher death rates.

Stability Control Shows Its Importance

All but three of the vehicles with the lowest death rates have Electronic Stability Control, usually as standard equipment. By contrast, ESC is available on only one of the 16 vehicles with the worst fatality rates. On the one that does have it, the Nissan 350Z, it's available only as an option.

ESC uses sensors to monitor for various signs of skidding. Computerized systems intervene to immediately bring the vehicle under control when the first signs of a skid are detected.

Other studies by the Insurance Institute have compared death rates for identical vehicles with and without ESC. Those studies have shown that ESC reduces fatal single-vehicle crashes- the type of crash that usually involves a vehicle losing control and going off the road - by more than half, according to the Institute, while reducing multivehicle wrecks by a third.

SUVs, which are taller than cars, are more prone to dangerous single-vehicle crashes, especially rollovers. For that reason, ESC could be particularly important in reducing fatalities in those types of vehicles.

Of the 15 vehicles with the lowest death rates, six were SUVs. All but one of those SUVs have ESC as standard equipment.

"That's a big change from previous years," said Russ Rader, a spokesman for the Insurance Institute. "SUVs have never been stars in the safety arena."

Besides SUVs, sports cars are another type of vehicle in which drivers tend to die in single-vehicle, rather than multi-vehicle, crashes. (The opposite is true for most vehicles.) Presumably, that is because, while sports cars have higher handling limits than other cars, drivers tend to test those limits in more often in sports cars.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recently proposed a rule requiring ESC on all vehicles by 2012. According to analyses by NHTSA and the Insurance Institute, putting ESC on all vehicles could save as many as 10,000 lives per year.

To see the full report, as well crash test results for cars, go to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's website at IIHS.org. To see crash test results from the federal government, go to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's website at safercar.gov.

Copyrighted, CNNMoney. All Rights Reserved.

[b:a970de293f]Dan[/b:a970de293f]
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger is better Reply with quote

I guess the person I know who went out and bought a Dodge Durango because he wanted "more metal around him" was right. Pity the thing's engine imploded at 105K miles. And his dw pretty much forced him to replace all panels on the vehicle during their ownership since she had problem maneuvering the thing.

Maybe its time to go out and get a used Hummer H1.

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW); '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW)
Now: '18 Hyundai Tucson - Silver (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
The Wonder from Downunder
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger is better Reply with quote

Wow, just affirms my ranting over in the other thread, that the drivers of the larger vehicles feel safer. By the way excellent article Dan.

But can't resist this on the astro van....

I wonder how safe this one is.....

2000 MPV Seychelles Green 279,000 km
Custom Cold Air Intake, K&N Panel Filter
Custom Equal Length Headers and Y pipe
Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
MPV Club Sticker to finish off the package
firewater

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger is better Reply with quote

I must state that my daily driver is a 98 Chevy 1/2 ton ext cab SB (read gas guzzler/$$$ drainer) w/ 192k on the OD. I was in an accident a few years back where I was slammed in the driver door, while turning, by a S10 Blazer doing about 35mph. I must say that I was OK, the driver door did not open and some body/frame damage occured. In fact he hit me so hard that my right rear tire popped off the rim from the impact. When I got out I looked at the Blazer, virtually cleared to the windshield. I have never felt safer in a full size vehicle then I did that day. Yea biggness!
2003 MPV ES, 100k, Loaded

other vehicle....
img060.jpg

img060.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 1233 time(s)

My truck after accident
img059.jpg

img059.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 1205 time(s)

cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
The Wonder from Downunder
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger is better Reply with quote

Shocked

glad you were not injured firewater.

There lies the difference in crumple zone technology of late, all that sheet metal just folds up like a sheet, I bet it was written off. Yours looks like it just had a little disagreement with a side post.

2000 MPV Seychelles Green 279,000 km
Custom Cold Air Intake, K&N Panel Filter
Custom Equal Length Headers and Y pipe
Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
MPV Club Sticker to finish off the package
noraa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger is better Reply with quote

hm it seems as though the new odyssey mini van by honda and the sienna size also has increased but one thing i think car company's are overlooking in this new size are the brakes. the new odyssey is big and has stability control but when i drive it down the road the brakes are the things im worried about the most. they are like sedan brakes on a truck and when i am hauling my family around it just doesnt feel like it meets the standards and is incomparable to my 95 mpv.
MOST POWERFUL VEHICLE
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger is better Reply with quote

Brake technology has improved a bit since '94. Pad material, EBFD, the use of rear discs, 4 channel ABS, etc. have all helped. Can't just judge a vehicle on the size of the brakes. Both of those vans do just fine stopping.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger is better Reply with quote

The brakes notwithstanding, don't forget the importance of the common sense and alertness of the individual who may need to apply them.
[b:a970de293f]Dan[/b:a970de293f]
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger is better Reply with quote

According to C&D, the Ody (2007 data) stops from 70mph in 190ft. The Sienna (2004 data) does the same in 180ft. A BMW 650i (2007 data) stops in 160ft. The Kia Rondo does it in 186ft. A GMC Sierra Denali AWD (2007 data) does it in 196ft.

Back in '02, the MPV ES did stops from 70mph in 188ft.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
noraa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger is better Reply with quote

ah but im just saying they "feel" inadequate and too small to keep applying constant braking power with a fully loaded van
MOST POWERFUL VEHICLE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Safety Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: