MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

CD player needed for '97 MPV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Audio, Video, Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Todd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: CD player needed for '97 MPV Reply with quote

I should be picking up my new '97 All-Sport this week. It has the am/fm tape player.

1) Someone is selling a cd/tape unit from a 2001 Protege and they claim it will fit my MPV. Will it fit? See
http://www.genier.com/radio5_440x282.jpg

2) Will the 6-disc changer/tape unit fit this model? My dealer says it won't.

Thanks for any help. I'm sure more questions will follow.

Mark
'14 Mazda6 Sport
'12 Mazda3 Touring
'02 Tribute ES-V6
'97 MPV All-Sport
'88 323GTX
'83 GLC Sport
4X4AllSport
89-98 MPV Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:58 am    Post subject: Re:CD player needed for '97 MPV Reply with quote

Based on that pic, the stereo looks like it's a double-DIN size. So, it should be able to fit in a '97. But to make sure, confirm it with the person selling the unit.

Regarding the 6-disc cd changer/tape unit, is this also coming from a different vehicle? Assuming that the cd changer is an in-dash model (not a trunk-mount), I've never seen one in an All-Sport, so as long it isn't bigger than a double-DIN, it should fit.

Of course, you can't have 2 double-DIN stereo units in the dash since the in-dash stereo capacity for a 1996-98 MPV is double-DIN. So, it's either one or the other.

Good luck. Wink

97 Efini MPV ES 4WD All-Sport M Edition
Indigo Blue/Silent Silver,77k mi
InDash TouchScreen DVD/CD/TV,ClassIII HiddenHitch,HitchStep,JDM Spoiler,Cone Filter,PIAA Spark 4900K

01 Millenia S,58k mi
04 Lexus GX470,35k mi
93 Honda Civic DX,88k mi
Had a 90 MP 2WD,224k mi

judge Mazda's MPV is M.V.P. clever
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mark Todd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:53 am    Post subject: Re:CD player needed for '97 MPV Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. Yes, I know only one will fit. Razz

The 6-disk unit I've seen is from the new model MPV's.
Does Mazda use the same mounting methods for all their stereos? e.g. Should a 2din from one vehicle bolt right in to a 2din space in another?

Any problems that I should look for before accepting my '97?

Thanks

Mark
'14 Mazda6 Sport
'12 Mazda3 Touring
'02 Tribute ES-V6
'97 MPV All-Sport
'88 323GTX
'83 GLC Sport
4X4AllSport
89-98 MPV Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re:CD player needed for '97 MPV Reply with quote

Mark Todd wrote:

Thanks for the input. Yes, I know only one will fit. Razz

The 6-disc unit I've seen is from the new model MPV's.
Does Mazda use the same mounting methods for all their stereos? e.g. Should a 2din from one vehicle bolt right in to a 2din space in another?

Any problems that I should look for before accepting my '97?

Thanks

If that 6-disk unit is a double-DIN, it should fit. I'm not sure that it'll bolt right in though since I have no experience with any 2nd Gen MPV. You might need some sort of adapter/harness. I don't think Mazda uses the same method for all their stereos since some Mazdas are actually Fords. But, All-Sports/1st Gens are 99.9% Mazda. Grin

Regarding the '97 you're about to get, how many miles does it have? What specific model is it? i.e. ES 4WD

Talk to you later.
Cool

InDash TouchScreen DVD/CD/TV,ClassIII HiddenHitch,HitchStep,JDM Spoiler,Cone Filter,PIAA Spark 4900K

01 Millenia S,58k mi
04 Lexus GX470,35k mi
93 Honda Civic DX,88k mi
Had a 90 MP 2WD,224k mi

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mark Todd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re:CD player needed for '97 MPV Reply with quote

I'll tell you everything I know about it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1863796999

If I got ripped off, just don't tell me, OK?

We got a GMC Safari, and my wife and I both hate it. The MPV is the #2 towing rated minivan out there, plus I'm a Mazda nut. So we're switching.

Mark
'14 Mazda6 Sport
'12 Mazda3 Touring
'02 Tribute ES-V6
'97 MPV All-Sport
'88 323GTX
'83 GLC Sport
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re:CD player needed for '97 MPV Reply with quote

I honestly don't think the Mk II MPV's single or 6disk changer will fit in a '97 MPV, but you can just about make anything work. The reason is that the radio in the 2000/2001 MPVs is not a nice clean rectangle, but tapers down towards the bottom. You'd have to make some adapter brackets for the sides to mount to, and a place for the front screws to attach... then you'd need a piece to cover the exposed screws (the dash cover does this on the current model MPV).

Won't just about any single-din head unit work in this application?

Oh, and nice van, btw. The seller looked to be very thorough with documenting everything, looking at the gallery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
4X4AllSport
89-98 MPV Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:01 am    Post subject: Re:CD player needed for '97 MPV Reply with quote

Yes, any single-DIN unit will work. Listen to j.doc regarding the 2000+ MP's 6-disc unit.

I remember looking @ this MPV not too long ago...I browse eBay's listings on the regular. Doesn't seem like a rip-off in the least bit to Me. $6,100 is a pretty good deal for a '97 LX All-Sport 2WD with 80k miles...39 total bids? Surprised

Hope you enjoy your new ride.

goggles

01 Millenia S,58k mi
04 Lexus GX470,35k mi
93 Honda Civic DX,88k mi
Had a 90 MP 2WD,224k mi

4X4AllSport
89-98 MPV Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:35 am    Post subject: Re:CD player needed for '97 MPV Reply with quote

Off-Topic
I see that it has a trailer hitch. Check if it also has the Automatic Load Leveling (ALL) system. It'll definitely help you out whenever you're towing.

01 Millenia S,58k mi
04 Lexus GX470,35k mi
93 Honda Civic DX,88k mi
Had a 90 MP 2WD,224k mi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Audio, Video, Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: