MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Saftey alert!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hangman
MPVClub Addict
The man without a plan!!!
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Saftey alert! Reply with quote

Okay guys.. I hope this is the right forum to post this in.. if not let me know or move it Smile

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/babies-kids/child-car-booster-seats/car-seats-2-07/overview/0207_seats_ov.htm

If you see spelling mistakes in my posts, its because Engrish is not my native language...

Hangman,

2015 Toyota Sienna L - His
2011 Toyota Sienna XLE - Her's
2007 Crossfire Limited Roadster 6spd - His
2005 Ody EX Sage Brush Pearl - The Grandparent's

2010 AMG S63 - Gone
2002 Mazda MPV - Gone
2002 Acura TL-S Gone
2001 Mazda Miata LS - Gone
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Saftey alert! Reply with quote

This has been making the news rounds. Interesting that consumer reports made their tests more stringent than the gov't - the 2 that passed their tests will undoubtedly be selling like hotcakes. Will the other 10 that "failed" take some sort of legal action? the company is already defending the one graco that failed both the gov't and the consumer reports test.

Doesn't make it right but I don't ever recall seeing a child seat when I was growing up. Come to think of it, we didn't even wear seat belts back then. nervous

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Saftey alert! Reply with quote

The plot thickens:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/AUTOS/01/18/car_seat/index.html

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Saftey alert! Reply with quote

Never the less, there still is a chance being hit 70MPH from the side.
2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Saftey alert! Reply with quote

LazyFox wrote:
Never the less, there still is a chance being hit 70MPH from the side.
While all the seats passed the standard test, it kinda says something about the 2 that passed the "modified" Consumer Reports test.
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Saftey alert! Reply with quote

Hangman wrote:
Okay guys.. I hope this is the right forum to post this in.. if not let me know or move it Smile

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/babies-kids/child-car-booster-seats/car-seats-2-07/overview/0207_seats_ov.htm

This sentence comes from the article cited above:

"....since government data shows that side crashes account for a significant number of child fatalities."

It would be interesting if the data showed where the child was sitting in relation to the impact in those studies. On the side of the car that was hit. In the middle. Or on the opposite side of the car from where the impact occurred.

We have always tried to put our guy in the center position of the middle row (right side seat slid over to the middle position) to further protect him in the event we were ever hit on the side. It would be nice to see some data that would either support our decision, or make us rethink what we are doing.

I also wish they would test some of the higher end child and booster seats (such as those made by Recaro) to see if paying a whole lot more money buys you much greater protection (or comfort for the child). I guess there just aren't enough folks out there who might spend the money to make it worth their effort to test seats like that.

Dan
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
Sold (scrapped) on 10/30/04 at 165,599.4 miles....1987 Honda Accord DX (165K miles)--Tan Car
Sold (scrapped) on 9/26/09 at 148406.4 miles and 24 years old....1985 Toyota Camry LE --Brown Car (Dan's former daily driver)
And more human powered bikes than I can count.....
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Saftey alert! Reply with quote

BTW, I am moving this thread to the Safety Issues section and leaving a shadow post in the Off Topic section. It is a good topic to bring up and discuss.
Dan
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
Sold (scrapped) on 10/30/04 at 165,599.4 miles....1987 Honda Accord DX (165K miles)--Tan Car
Sold (scrapped) on 9/26/09 at 148406.4 miles and 24 years old....1985 Toyota Camry LE --Brown Car (Dan's former daily driver)
And more human powered bikes than I can count.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Safety Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: