MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Auto Up Power Windows a Dangerous Feature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwitony

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:12 am    Post subject: Auto Up Power Windows a Dangerous Feature Reply with quote

Alarmed at the force behind a rising power window I have disabled the auto-up function. This gives peace of mind that there is now a much reduced chance of a child being killed by this "feature".

Never mind about ranting on about never leaving keys in cars - the very simple modification gets to the source of the problem. It involves cutting a scratch across one copper track of the circuit board on the underside of the auto-up switch. I'll post a photo if I can figure out how to.
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Up Power Windows a Dangerous Feature Reply with quote

Sounds like a very good precaution to take if you have that concern.
[b:a970de293f]Dan[/b:a970de293f]
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
avt007

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Up Power Windows a Dangerous Feature Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with this feature- do MPVs have it?
2002 ES 65,000 km, silver, GFX package
[url=http://www.mpvclub.com/forum/download.php?id=830]
86 Porsche 911
99 Boxster
92 VW Passat
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Up Power Windows a Dangerous Feature Reply with quote

My '01 LX does NOT have it. I was assuming he was referring to a '89-'98 model.
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
kiwitony

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Up Power Windows a Dangerous Feature Reply with quote

Hi - correct - my MPV is a Japanese assembled '96 2.5 litre diesel turbo 4 wheel drive. Auto, centre diff lock, auto-locking hubs, moonroof, privacy glass, 4 doors, second row separate seats.

Bought in NZ at about 28,000km / 2 yrs old for approx US$12,000

I notice on a few new cars that the drivers window is only auto-down. Excellent to see this common sense approach.
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Up Power Windows a Dangerous Feature Reply with quote

Probably is better to not have auto power up, but when leaving a toll plaza I do wish I had it.
4X4AllSport
89-98 MPV Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Up Power Windows a Dangerous Feature Reply with quote

I'd like to have that one-touch close feature in My windows..with pinch-protection, of course. clever
97 Efini MPV ES 4WD All-Sport M Edition
Indigo Blue/Silent Silver,77k mi
InDash TouchScreen DVD/CD/TV,ClassIII HiddenHitch,HitchStep,JDM Spoiler,Cone Filter,PIAA Spark 4900K

01 Millenia S,58k mi
04 Lexus GX470,35k mi
93 Honda Civic DX,88k mi
Had a 90 MP 2WD,224k mi

judge Mazda's MPV is M.V.P. clever
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Up Power Windows a Dangerous Feature Reply with quote

Hi Kiwitony - good to see you here - hope you are enjoying the MPV - interesting specs on it too - they don't get the 2.5 diesel in US and don't get some of the other Jap market features either. You have some interesting hobbies - looks like you need the MPV 4WD to get to some things too - eg: geocaching.

Theres another NZ MPV'er close to you in Invercargill - NZMPV with a 92 Efini MPV green/grey.

Enjoy the club and keep posting... thanks for the tip on the auto close feature - disabling, with yr family and sports, you may need a digicam shortly hehe! Look forward to a photo - say 640x480 max as a guide.

goggles

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
87 Capella/626 1.8i 176km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
eddie
Mostly harmless

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Up Power Windows a Dangerous Feature Reply with quote

Just got my Aug Consumer Reports in the mail today. Interesting article about power window switches. 25 children have died in the past decade from injuries involving power windows. Kids stick their heads out the window and accidentally lean on the switch to close the window. The glass raises and chokes the child.

Bad designs are rocker or toggle switches which allow windows to be raised when you press them or pull them back and forth. Happy to say the MPV has the safe lever switches, where one has to lift up the switch to raise the window, virtually impossible for a child leaning on it to do.

Interestingly, only the domestic makes seem to use the rocker or toggle switches, and most European and Japanese makes use the levers.

2003 Mazda MPV LX (Coastal Blue)
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Up Power Windows a Dangerous Feature Reply with quote

I saw that--it was an interesting little piece. Though I wonder the situation when kids got choked. Was the car being driven (and why weren't the kids properly seated?) Or was the car parked? If it was, and the engine was off, that would be an argument against retained power for the windows.
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Up Power Windows a Dangerous Feature Reply with quote

I saw that--it was an interesting little piece. Though I wonder the situation when kids got choked. Was the car being driven (and why weren't the kids properly seated?) Or was the car parked? If it was, and the engine was off, that would be an argument against retained power for the windows.
eddie
Mostly harmless

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Up Power Windows a Dangerous Feature Reply with quote

Dan wrote:

I'm guessing the kids involved are old enough to undo their seat belts and possibly start the car while their parents hop into a store or something. But probably not old enough so that they don't like to hang out of car windows.

Good point about the retained power. Personally, I've shut the car off many times already forgetting to close the windows first. banghead

2003 Mazda MPV LX (Coastal Blue)
Hangman
MPVClub Addict
The man without a plan!!!
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Up Power Windows a Dangerous Feature Reply with quote

Actually, our MPV is designed to reduce as much as possible the chance of injury with power windows. It does not have auto-up function. Even if it does have auto-up funciton, it is now required that all auto-up function has built in auto reverse when it senses obstruction. As for the kids leaning out the window and accidentally pressing the up button with their hands/feet, the mpv's up button requires that you pull up on the button to raise the window. I am refering to new MPVs since I do not knopw what the old designs are like.
If you see spelling mistakes in my posts, its because Engrish is not my native language...

Hangman,

2015 Toyota Sienna L - His
2011 Toyota Sienna XLE - Her's
2007 Crossfire Limited Roadster 6spd - His
2005 Ody EX Sage Brush Pearl - The Grandparent's

2010 AMG S63 - Gone
2002 Mazda MPV - Gone
2002 Acura TL-S Gone
2001 Mazda Miata LS - Gone
kiwitony

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Up Power Windows a Dangerous Feature Reply with quote

Had reason to take the drivers door panel off today so photographed the circuit showing the scratched out track which prevents drivers window Auto Up working.

The switch assembly is labeled: B01A 66 350D Omron C8H-D61D

Actually it's not necessary to remove the door panel to get the switch assembly out - it can be easily levered up out of the moulding with a flat screwdriver.

Interestingly the electric roof has a 2 stage closing sequence - it stops closing when there's about 20cm to go then another press of the close switch is required.

===============================
'96 MPV, 4WD 2.5L turbo diesel (Japan new).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Safety Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: