MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

If you encounter an 'Error in posting' when you reply to a post, try keeping the Subject line of the reply under 35 characters or so.

'00 MPV - Rotor Removal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EASwen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: '00 MPV - Rotor Removal Reply with quote

Hey folks,

Way back when I replaced the pads on our 2000 MPV. Had to be one of the easier sets I've done. Well it is that time again - however this time I am going to swap out the rotors too.

It looks like the spindle nut holds the rotors on - is this true? The center of the new rotors doesn't look like it is held down with the nut. Can some one tell me if the rotor will just "pop" off (with a couple good whacks of a harmonic balancer (hammer)) or do I need to remove the spindle bolt??

Thanks!

Erik
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: '00 MPV - Rotor Removal Reply with quote

You know, that's a good question. I have yet to check that out. If your new rotor has a big centre hole and no appreciable depth in that region(to house bearings) then it is held on by the wheel and its lug nuts. it should just pull off, but the rust etc always makes them sticky. You could hit the back with a hammer, or see if there is a threaded hole in the lug region that you can turn a bolt in to push the rotor off. On some cars, the caliper adapter is in the way and must be removed.

MPV gone Sad
current: 07 Impala SS, 98 Grand Voyager LE
EASwen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: '00 MPV - Rotor Removal Reply with quote

MB,

THANKS for the quick reply.

Yea, if I recall correctly - it didn't look like the spindle bolt held it on. There is a small threaded hold on the rotor which might be what you are talking about, re: thread a bolt through to "pry" the rotor off....

I'm probably going to attack this weekend so any other posts confirming its "attachment" would be great!

Best,

E
EASwen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '00 MPV - Rotor Removal Reply with quote

Bump -

Still wondering if the front rotors are just "knock" offs - meaning a good couple whacks with a harmonic balancer (hammer) will do the trick...

Anyone done this yet?

Thanks,

Erik
z00m

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '00 MPV - Rotor Removal Reply with quote

You have to remove the caliper bracket first before you can remove the rotors. There're two big nuts holding the bracket onto the back of the hub assembly.

Normally this is the process: take caliper out (2 nuts) and dangle it on a wire attaching to something nearby, take pads out, take the bracket out (2 bigger nuts), then pop the rotor out. If the rotors is stuck (rusted on the back) to the hub, you can use an m8 bolt (either 1.25 or 1.5 pitch) to screw into the two holes there to pop it out. This works too for loosen a stuck rear drum.

I don't own a '00 MPV, but I haven't see any cars that deviate too much from this.

Hope this helps.
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
The Wonder from Downunder
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '00 MPV - Rotor Removal Reply with quote

Had a search to make sure this hasn't been posted before so here is a picture of the 2000 front brake system hope it helps...

Quote:

Remove in the order indicated in the table.
Install in the reverse order of removal.
After installation, depress the pedal a few times, rotate the wheel by hand, and verify that the brake does not drag.

DISC PLATE REMOVAL NOTE

Mark the wheel hub bolt and disc plate before removal for reference during installation.

DISC PLATE INSTALLATION NOTE

Remove any rust or grime on the contact face of the disc plate and wheel hub.
Install the disc plate and align the marks made before removal.

2000 MPV Seychelles Green 279,000 km
Custom Cold Air Intake, K&N Panel Filter
Custom Equal Length Headers and Y pipe
Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
MPV Club Sticker to finish off the package

Disk brake system Large Web view.jpg

Disk brake system Large Web view.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 964 time(s)

EASwen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: '00 MPV - Rotor Removal Reply with quote

Thanks folks!
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
The Wonder from Downunder
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: '00 MPV - Rotor Removal Reply with quote

Brian,

Could we move this to DIY

2000 MPV Seychelles Green 279,000 km
Custom Cold Air Intake, K&N Panel Filter
Custom Equal Length Headers and Y pipe
Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
MPV Club Sticker to finish off the package
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Do It Yourself All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: