MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Five little Eskimos!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeamEskimo
MPVClub Preacher
Yer walkin' the plank!
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Five little Eskimos! Reply with quote

Well, we got some good news the other day - DW is expecting our 5th child in January! Very Happy This does however pose a logistical problem, in that I don't think I can fit 5 boosters/child seats in the van ('02 LX). (oldest will be 7, which in theory means he won't need a booster, but he's a lightweight, so we'll leave him in a while yet) The difficulty of course is the 3rd row, which is too narrow to fit 3 across and still be able to have the kids (or adults) reach the buckles.

So two questions - does anyone have any ideas about narrower models of booster seats, or how to fit 3 across the back?

Second, if I can't do that the next step would be a bigger van. Do any of you who have Oddys or Siennas have any thoughts about the feasibility of getting 5 kids in carseats in? I'm thinking the way to go will likely be a full size 10-12 passenger van, but would love to hear any input...

Thanks!
Brent

2002 Sunlight Silver LX - 63,000 miles - 4 Seasons, Luxury, Security Packages, Rear Air, Cassette, Roof Rack, Step Plate and Cargo Net
'03 Dodge Neon SXT - 84,000 miles
'98 Chevy Suburban Diesel 4x4 - 158,000 miles, 6300 lbs, 23 mpg - Big rig!
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Five little Eskimos! Reply with quote

Congrats, Brent!!! Booster seats eh? I researched a narrow seat for Keegan for our trip to Cali last December, but he's only two. I'll check the model we did find (was only like 16" wide), at Walmart and let you know, but you're going to be hard-pressed to fit 3-wide of seats back there, me thinks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Five little Eskimos! Reply with quote

If you upgrade, the new Ody is out of question I'd say. There is that spare wheel storage in the 3rd row which makes the 3rd row not as wide as the Sienna or Quest I think.

You will have to drive someone in the mid 3rd row now, no headrest and only lap belt. I'd upgrade the vehicle.

You might get some use from the 8 seater Sienna perhaps, the mid 2nd row seat would give you at least option for short trips to get one more passenger on board in addition to your family.

Congrats BTW and you are nuts guys, 5 kids. Shocked Laughing

2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Five little Eskimos! Reply with quote

The spring was indeed productive! Congrats, TeamEskimo.

I wouldn't get one of those 12-15 seaters (e.g. Ford F-x50 bus, etc.) for personal use. My company hires F-350s and the only seat that's comfortable is the one next to the driver and that's got major engine cover intrusion in the footwell. I don't think GM's version is any different. The ride is awful in all rear rows, there are no headrests, and the rear seatbelt feels minimal compared to a regular car/minivan/pickup.

Based on feedback from family members who owns them, I'd lean towards the Oddy or Sienna with Sienna taking the edge for internal space/comfort (Oddy takes the edge on handling /performance). I don't know what the new Sedona/Entourage will buy you in space.

All the best to you and Mrs TeamEskimo ...... this would explain why you've been offline a bit lately Wink

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Five little Eskimos! Reply with quote

Congrats!
Perhaps the type of booster that is only the bottom half might add shoulder room to the kids if they fit 3 abreast on the seat? I measured all our child seats and boosters and they were about 22" wide at the widest point, the shoulder area.Because of this, in my Lumina, which is wider inside than the MPVs 3rd row, I could not fit a skinny teenager between the 2 child seats. That's why I thought maybe the bottom only booster might help. Because of this I believe that you would need an unusually wide car to do this, if one is even made. The absense of a head restraint in the middle of the 3rd row isn't a problem as long as the booster's seatback is high enough for the child.
Here's another problem: With the newborn, that rear facing thing he'll be in takes up ALOT of front to rear space. The minimally dimensioned MPV is not the best place for it, even if that were your only child. I find myself wishing for more legroom for everyone. Sometimes the front row occpants even have to give up some of it for the next row. Then the cargo area in back ends up too diminutive. I did notice the Sienna's well is alot bigger in all dimentions. I would, if I were in your position, try fitting the 3 abreast in a Sienna 8 seater in a showroom, trying both the 2nd and 3rd row. Also look at the other large minivans(Oddysey, Quest, Dodge, Sedona/Entourage, etc) and measure the width in those rows.
Also, check each model for tether anchors in all the places you'll want them. The 2000 MPV disappointed me in that arena, but I guess these days there might be an anchor in practically every spot.

MPV gone Sad
current: 07 Impala SS, 08 Grand Caravan SXT
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Five little Eskimos! Reply with quote

Even the '02 and '03 only had the 3rd row tether anchor for the center position. Not sure if any changes came about in the '04-'06 models for this, but I'm doubtful.

Here in Wisconsin, kids under 8 need to be in a booster now:
Quote:
-Infants under a year or weigh less than 20 pounds must be restrained in a rear-facing safety seat in the back seat - if there is one.

-Children at least 1 but less than 4 who weigh 20 to 40 pounds must sit in a forward-facing safety seat in the back seat - if there is one.

-Children at least 4 but less than 8, and 40 to 80 pounds and shorter than 4 feet 9 inches tall must sit in a booster seat.

-Children 8 or older - or over 80 pounds or taller than 4-foot-9 - must wear a seat belt.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
TeamEskimo
MPVClub Preacher
Yer walkin' the plank!
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Five little Eskimos! Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the info. I've been looking around online a bit, and it appears there are some narrower boosters out there - a couple of Britax models in particular. The only way I see this working would be to put a forward facing toddler seat in the middle of the 3rd row - can't do a booster there since there's no shoulder belt. We did actually cram three seats back there once before, but we had to recline the seatback in order to buckle the booster seatbelts. Rolling Eyes

I think the bottom width is the key dimension, as the "armrests/storage compartment" pinch the lower half back there. We tried one of those bottom only ones, and it was actually wider than the ones we have now.

A good coincidence though, is that our infant carrier and one of the toddler seats will have exceeded their 6 year "expiration date" and we need to replace them anyway. It seems like if I can spend a few hundred $ on a couple of seats, it would beat spending multiple thousands of $$ on a newer, bigger van.

My brother has a newer Ody, and I should see him within a month, so I'll check out the seating there when I see him next.

I have 7 months to figure this out, so I'll see what I can work out for back there. In the meantime, I'll be carying a tape measure whenever I go shopping... If anyone finds a particularly narrow seat (booster or toddler), please let me know.

Thanks guys! Very Happy
Brent

2002 Sunlight Silver LX - 63,000 miles - 4 Seasons, Luxury, Security Packages, Rear Air, Cassette, Roof Rack, Step Plate and Cargo Net
'03 Dodge Neon SXT - 84,000 miles
'98 Chevy Suburban Diesel 4x4 - 158,000 miles, 6300 lbs, 23 mpg - Big rig!
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Five little Eskimos! Reply with quote

subearu wrote:
Even the '02 and '03 only had the 3rd row tether anchor for the center position. Not sure if any changes came about in the '04-'06 models for this, but I'm doubtful.

It's not the center, it's the passenger side. There's also a spot for one under the carpet behind the passenger side second row seat, but it it a proprietary part that you have to get at the dealer. I would guess there are more in the newer vans that have LATCH. Remember it is perfectly legal to use the tongue of an unoccupied belt directly behind the child seat, as long as it is of a certain type or can be made to stop, as with the ratchet system on the MPV belts. Remember too that boosters must use a shoulder belt, not just a lap only type belt. A child seat can use the lap only belt, but our blasted MPV has this huge hinge thing protruding into the bum right in the middle of the 3rd row seat, making it all but totally impossible to put one there.

MPV gone Sad
current: 07 Impala SS, 08 Grand Caravan SXT
Robzz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Five little Eskimos! Reply with quote

Hi, am new to this board and I wanted to share my experience with baby seats.

We have a 20 month old son and DW is expecting twins. I did'nt want to get a minivan at first mainly because it's thirstier than what i was looking at before I knew we were getting 2 for the price of one Cool . I was looking for a Matrix. but when I got the news of the twins, I ask the Toyota dealer to have the demo Matrix and I asked the baby store (it's a Clement here in Qu├ębec) where we bought the stroller/baby seat if I could try to fit 2 baby seats and a kid seat. Everybody said no problem so I went to the store and I just tried to stuff everything at once. I fitted, but it was crammed so I had to look for bigger and here I am.

Long story short: Take the peevee to the baby store and try it for your self. You'll save a lot of time having most seats available under the hand and I'm pretty sure they'll accomodate you if say your wife is expecting a fifth child (lots-o-sale for them Wink ). If they don't help, find a better store!

And congrats for all the kids.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Safety Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: